• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mystery deaths

Acpape0

Members
I have been losing about a fish every three days for about a week and a half.(4 lost now) I have done 3 40% water changes in the last twelve days. Tested water after each death. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate never above 20-30. I am religious about prime and add do add infor the extra in sumps. Added fresh carbon after first death. Fish are showing no signs of disease or fatigue or fins tore up. Water appears a bit cloudy even after changes. Looks almost like highly oxygenated water after a big change. The only thing that has changed recently is I added about 10 lbs of Florida crush coral to my sump about two weeks ago and I washed thoroughly also removed driftwood.
Here is a pick to show cloudyness...
I am stumped

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397529269.044800.jpg

frankoq

Members
Do you see any symptoms on the remaining fish?
Have you added new fish?
Do you see big fluctuations of nitrates?
Any aggression going on?

Acpape0

Members
I have added fish but it was after first death. No signs of fatigue on any before death or others in tank. I have had some mbuna spawn in the last week. I shut off my wave makers 3 days ago just to make life a little easier on them. The last death was tonight. I have only lost peacock and haps no mbuna

Watch very very closely at feeding time, watch for any fish not eating or hanging near the surface not moving around as much. Clamped fins are also an indicator. Gonna need to gather some more info random deaths are odd but several in a week means something is off. May just have to observe each fish closely keep an eye out for abnormalities. The clouding is probably just a bacterial bloom from all the water changes should clear up after the BB reach their equilibrium, extra airation will help speed it up.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Acpape0

Members
No big spikes in Nitrates just a slow increase after water changes. The tank is a 125 with tons of filtration about 2500gph. Wet/dry, 2 canisters and 1 hob.

Acpape0

Members
I have my recliner set up I front of tank so I will have no problem logging some observation time. Colud the change in ph from 7.2 to 7.8 due to coral and driftwood removal cause it?

I doubt it, others may disagree but its not that big of a difference and it changed to a prefered level. Those mbuna get pretty crazy during spawning do any of the remaining fish have any fin damage at all? Where'd the coral come from? Was it brand new?

frankoq

Members
A few months ago, my German red died. He was not swimming much and not eating.
Later on, I saw signs of a beat up. that same night, he died.
Then, another peacock started with the same... I took him to my hospital tank and lasted about 5 days before he died too.
All my water parameters were good. No idea what happened.

frankoq

Members
+1 I don't think that PH fluctuation is the issue.
Then again, crushed coral takes a while to impact water PH.

Acpape0

Members
I spent a good bit of time looking for it and can't find any, there was no tail damage on the dead either. Everybody gets along pretty good ( much better than my two breeding pairs of angels in my community tank but that is a story for another thread)

Whenever I've had totally random deaths the best explaination I could come up with was internal parasites. I wouldn't start treating like you had them but I'd start looking for symptoms of them. Bloat, concave stomach, gasping, lethargy, not eating, clamped fins, white stringy feces......with no symptoms I think it'd be crazy to start any treatment.

Acpape0

Members
I think I may have found my answer ... Looks like the kid dropped a few small pieces of clear plastic in tank, my wife said she found one in a deceased fishes mouth and I just pulled some out of tank, they were small enough to be eaten....

Acpape0

Members
The only thing I can think of is they lodged in rocks and were being eaten over the last week time for a huge gravel vac and rock adjustments to make sure I got them all....something so small can cost so much $$ in livestock

frankoq

Members
Sounds like you found the issue. My kids are not allowed to open the lids unless I approve or I'm present. But, things like that can happen.
Now Let's go to KG and re-stock! :)