• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mystery deaths

Hannibal

Members
Do you want to hold off on getting those fish from me until you have this figured out? If something is going on with your tank you should get that sorted out before adding more fish. Keep me posted.

Acpape0

Members
Do you want to hold off on getting those fish from me until you have this figured out? If something is going on with your tank you should get that sorted out before adding more fish. Keep me posted.
Yes please ... If you don't mind waiting it would be greatly appreciated ... If not I can throw them in my empty grow out but would prefer not to

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Acpape0

Members
How does treating tank with poly and feeding with the metro laced food sound? Is this safe /effective ? I had them sent 2 day air so they should be here by Saturday

Hannibal

Members
No worries man you just let me know when you are ready and good luck with getting things sorted out. I don't have much experience with these kinds of things as I have been lucky enough to have never dealt with it before.

Becca

Members

I know, bad... The hubs knocks stuff in there all the time, and has a bad habit of piling stuff up on the lid - caps too food, etc. - I also have a bad habit of leaving pipettes (used to measure ferts and feed thawed frozen foods) on the lid.

How does treating tank with poly and feeding with the metro laced food sound? Is this safe /effective ? I had them sent 2 day air so they should be here by Saturday

I don't know if it's effective, but it's safe. At least, I've done it with no issues. I usually feed my fish in QT metro-garlic flake from Ken's for a week when they first come in and, if they look a little off in any way, might drop some polyguard or other meds in there.

If my fish start getting sick, i'm totally unprepared to treat them.
:(

I couldn't sleep at night when I was unprepared. I've seen tanks go from fine to empty in a few days and that's a lot of money, time and life down the drain.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Yes, but what to get?
Might need a new thread on what people are using to treat fish.

I keep metro-laced food, polyguard, kanamycin, melafix, pimafix, paraguard, and focus around, plus a gallon of saturated salt solution (Frank Cowherd's recipe).

Used to be I just kept the salt, pimafix and melafix. The other stuff I've acquired as I've needed it.

I should probably have some sort of broad-spectrum antibiotic on hand, but I don't currently.

I got the polyguard after doing a little digging and finding that it treats a little of everything.

Usually, for ich, I use salt and higher temps to treat a tank and don't find any other treatment is necessary.

Becca

Members
Loosing a lot of fish out of your show tank sucks ... I am ready for this to be over.,.. I am starting to dread looking in my tank after work

Exactly how I felt when my 29 tanked a month ago. It was my favorite display tank and had some fish that were hard to find, plus a few old favorites. I felt like having a funeral for it when it was all over.

Acpape0

Members
Update:
Got home to two more noticeably sick fish
Decided not to wait until medicine arrives even though it was sent 2 day air.
Went to HOT and bought metro +
Noticed when I got home it only treated 100 gallons (125 g tank and sump)...
85% water change ... Took out purigen and carbon and put in all of metro

Come on ups

To cap off the night the fx5 decided to start leaking at drain ( towel in place Untill I get it fixed)

So far past frustrated

Sorry man I feel your pain. Feel better knowing you've done everything you could. Define "noticeably", is it possible to isolate the ones in question? Have you noticed any glancing, Strange feces, or gasping at the surface? Metro plus can be mixed with food to make it go further and increase internal levels. I'm thinking your leaning towards an internal problem which are predominantly parasitic. Acriflavine is also effective and can be mixed with metro. Its an ingredient in lots of common meds even walmart has it.

Acpape0

Members
Only thing I have noticed more of in all fish is them brushing up against rocks and gravel " sick fish hang down at the notion if tank for about a day before..... Some have been fine one night and dead the next

Acpape0

Members
Sorry man I feel your pain. Feel better knowing you've done everything you could. Define "noticeably", is it possible to isolate the ones in question? Have you noticed any glancing, Strange feces, or gasping at the surface? Metro plus can be mixed with food to make it go further and increase internal levels. I'm thinking your leaning towards an internal problem which are predominantly parasitic. Acriflavine is also effective and can be mixed with metro. Its an ingredient in lots of common meds even walmart has it.

Is it in any on your " must have list"

No its in tetra parasite guard which is extrememly cheap and available all over. Its got metro + acriflavine. If they are glancing off stuff its usually because they have parasites aggravating them almost like an itch. Another main cause of that is nitrite may not be in your case but might be worth double checking and adding some salt.