• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sand

Acpape0

Members
I am considering switching my 125 to sand. How much do I need. Where to buy (live in elkridge) ? How expensive is it? Special considerations? Draw backs?

Any input is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

daninmd

Members
pool filter sand is the way to go, can get it at any pool supply store. two 50 lb bags will get you about 2-3" in a 125.

Ading522

Members
Pool filter sand is the way to go.. $10 for a 50 lb bag.. That is the cheapest compared to special sand from big box stores.. Drawback is, male sure its not too thick..1-2" is about enough.. Unless your fish are sand sifters or move sand around much, gas pockets can form and trap uneaten food and lower water quality or cause fish to get sick..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Pool filter sand is the way to go in my opinion. It is clean (at least all the stuff I've ever bought has been clean) and easy to maintain. I switched out from gravel to PFS in my 180 without removing the fish. I used 100 pounds in my 180, so that should be plenty for a 125.

frankoq

Members
I have 100lb in my 180 and allows me to have about 2inches thick.
I think I paid about $13 at a pool store in Scaggsville. This is because I could not find any at HD or Lowes. Now that summer is coming, HD or Lowes might have it in stock for a lot less.
I also rinsed mine a few times before adding it to the tank. Maybe unnecessary, but I did it anyway.

Becca

Members
Pool filter sand is the way to go in my opinion. It is clean (at least all the stuff I've ever bought has been clean) and easy to maintain. I switched out from gravel to PFS in my 180 without removing the fish. I used 100 pounds in my 180, so that should be plenty for a 125.

Did the same thing in our 150.

We left a bit of gravel in, which I regret now, after moving the tank and getting it all mixed up with the sand.

We did 1.5 bags in the 150 because it's planted.

Becca

Members
How did you do it with fish in ?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I pulled out all of the driftwood and used a coarse-mesh net to pull gravel out of the tank.

I might've taken some of the fish out, but we didn't take all of the water out and I think we left at least the big guys in.

I did a really good gravel vac before I started.

After enough gravel was out, I poured the sand in at the corners and middle and smoothed it over with my hands.

You could put the fish in a rubbermaid tub - sometimes we do this when we're rearranging the tank because it gives us a chance to "take inventory." In a tank that large, with so much wood and plants, it's easy to lose track of what you've got.

Becca

Members
I wouldn't do it that way...^....your tank will be cloudy forever .....Pm sent

Tank wasn't cloudy long at all. It was clear by morning AND all debris was sitting on top of the nice new sand and ready to be picked up by the gravel vac.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I have an extra 50lb bag of PFS from Leslies if you want. No charge. Just need to pick it up. I am in Abingdon, Harford county.

I added sand with fish in tank, filled the fx5 with mechanical media water was crystal clear by morning amd I switched back to my bio media

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Cloudy water has never been an issue for me when adding PFS. Like Becca, I removed all the decorations from the tank and used a catch cup to scoop out the gravel. I added the PFS, then drained the tank like I would during a water change. Filled it back up and the water was clear within hours.