• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fry Questions

I have two sets of fry, one Red Jewels and the other dwarf cichlids (see Pic) Just wondering if the dwarf cichlids are to large to group with the Red Jewels? Right now I have them in two separate breeder boxes, I want to put them in a 5 or 10 gallon tank.

Fry.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
What kind of dwarf cichlids?

I've done this successfully sometimes, and other times not. To be sure, you might want to keep them separated still. You can put a divider (like a mattenfilter) in the middle of the 10 if you want to keep them separated still but move them out of the boxes.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I wouldnt risk it. I was growing out give or take 40 siquia fry and I put in 20 marbled convict fry that where a little smaller than them. The next morning half of them where killed. I'd wait a little bit.

verbal

CCA Members
I would move the dwarf cichlid fry if you have a tank they can go to now. Splitting the jewel fry should buy you some time, if you only have one tank ready.

Becca

Members
Did those kribs make you babies already? ;-)

Kribensis fry can actually do a fair job of holding their own in a community tank because the parents are so good at watching over them.

From the pair you bought from me, I still have about 15 juveniles swimming around the 150 gallon, possibly more, and that's with about 10 large Raphael cats and a group of B. cupido to compete with (and without any help from their parents!).

If you want thousands of kribs, raise them separately, but know that you'll almost always have a few that survive from each spawn if you just let the parents do their thing.