• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sand substrate

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I really like pool filter sand. I get mine from Leslie's pool supply in Rockville.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
To those you with experience with sand substrates, what can you recommend that is locally-available?

Dep what are you keeping...planted, not planted, Africans. Dark or light sand fine or coarse.
I've got a mix in my tanks.
I've used play sand mixed with smaller gravel and pebbles for the community tank with angels, Cory cats, tetras and kribs. The tank is also planted.
African tank I'm planning in using sand blasting sand bc it's bright white, cheaper than white pool filter sand. As opposed to the current aragonite sand mix I currently have.

These are how I've mixed them to look "natural"

098445EC-94C3-491E-9067-4BDDEA9223C5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
F86FABF8-567B-4DC9-B0FE-2D3522E5E8CD.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
92501D8E-EEDD-4101-8189-9597FA137F73.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Again depends on you end goal.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hawkman2000

Members
My understanding is that the pfs from leslies is tan sand, while the pfs from Dannys is white crushed quarts.

I remember someone poston pics of their tank with garnet sand. Looked really nice.

Becca

Members
My understanding is that the pfs from leslies is tan sand, while the pfs from Dannys is white crushed quarts.

I remember someone poston pics of their tank with garnet sand. Looked really nice.

Where is Danny's?

The stuff we got from Brown's in Damascus was nicer than what I got at Leslie's, but is still not white.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I also use pool filter sand for substrate in most of my tanks. I get mine from Flamingo Pool Supply in Frederick, but I cannot remember the brand name of the sand that I have. It is more of a tan color than white.

I've used play sand in tanks in the past. While it is inexpensive (not that $10 for a 50 pound bag of PFS is expensive), I have found it to be extremely dirty and the effort wasn't worth it for me to clean it before use.

I also have a few tanks with "aquarium sand" from Caribesea and another manufacturer. It looks great, but the only reason I have it is that I won it in a raffle. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend the money on it.

Mwildgruber

Members
i used black diamond blasting sand in my 150 and it is working out great. i got a 50 lb bag at tractor supply for like 8 $ i got the medium grain size and it is about the same size or a little bigger than pool filter sand. i mixed it in with pool filter sand because i could not find the pool filter sand in black.