• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fungicides

Becca

Members
Ok, so the methylene blue experiment didn't work out with the Dicrossus eggs - they still fungused over starting about 48 hours in.

Does anyone here use fungicides when dealing with fish eggs and, if so, what and how much of it do you use?

I'm working with the large-size marina breeder boxes, so probably a 20-ish oz. capacity.

The alternative is that the male just hasn't been on-target the last few spawns. I suppose that's possible.

chriscoli

Administrator
One of my concerns with the Marina boxes is the flow-through. It'd be easier to dose a small volume rather than the whole tank as you would with the boxes (unless you are using them as static reservoirs. There's a lot in the tank that can soak up medicines....things like driftwood, especially.

The next time I try this will be in a small, dedicated tank where I can precisely dose.

Just my two cents...it doesn't really answer your question.

Becca

Members
I turn the flow off and use an air stone.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
I'm a fan of alder cones...although if the eggs aren't getting fertilized they won't help :)

I use them in all of my tanks with extras in the breeder boxes. I actually saw this spawn take place and the male was at least TRYING to fertilize the eggs... Who knows if he really succeeded?

neut

Members
A long time ago in a galaxy far away I used meth blue. Nothing now. I suppose if I had an issue I might try melafix/pimafix... or another natural remedy might be usnea-- info on it here. Not sure what it's effect would be on eggs.

Edit-- might be a better article on usnea here. Might be where I first read about it. I found you can get it in liquid form at some health food stores.

Last edited: