• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Who is MrSickLid?...

MrSickLid

Members
I wanted to make an introduction to the ACA after now being a member since May 2011.

My name is Kevin Smith, HAHA yea I know, "like the director". I'm 27 years young and I currently reside in Northern Virginia. Anyways, I got into the hobby of aquatic life at the end of 2010 when I took my three kids to a local carnival and won them each a Goldfish. Well to make a long story short two of the three Goldfish died within a couple of days and the kids cried their eyes out.

I never had fish growing up and I felt like it was time to acquire some, not only for myself but for my kids as well. So I did some research and decided to go to Petsmart. Please excuse me for that initial mistake as I was still, "green" and didn't know any better. So I took the kids and we ended up purchasing a 40 gallon breeder and we got our filter and some colorful rocks and some other ornaments to go in the tank. Within a month I ended up with two Oscars, one Tiger and one Albino. We then acquired three Black Convicts and I got deeper and deeper into the hobby. Within the next few months I ended up buying a 180 gallon tank used off craigslist from West Virginia, then found a stand to use that was also on craigslist that I got from Fredricksburg, and then got a Fluval FX5 used off craigslist. All I did for nights upon nights was search the internet for information, suggestions, etc.

Once we had the 180 gallon tank up and running I wanted more fish and search for local aquarium stores and bought a cichlid here and a cichlid there. All in all I ended up with 12 cichlids in the tank. Two of my convicts died and I soon acquired a large Pleco, that in my eyes I saved that was in the aquarium store. He was over 10 inches when I got him but I felt it wouldn't hurt to add him to the family.

I then began buying driftwood, substrate, air stones, and the list goes on. I even had to get the top glass covers for each of the three holes of the tank custom cut. I had to buy a strip to join the pieces of glass to make the openings and I refinished the stand I purchased in my parents garage. I have put pretty much all I had as far as money and effort goes. I then was searching the web for more and more information and got deeper and deeper into the hobby.

While reading up on the different variations of cichlids I was more and more intrigued with the cichlids from Central and South America. Mostly due to the fact that my wife and love of my life was born in Nicaragua. I wanted to see if there were cichlids from Nicaragua and guess what I found out. That most of the cichlids that I had already purchased originally come from Nicaragua. It was by mere coincidence. I was even more excited and went deeper.

I searched all over the internet and was looking for more information about cichlids from Nicaragua. There was some information but most of it was old and it was very hard to come by. So I got more into cichlids and found the ACA and joined up immediately. After joining I found out about the Annual Conventions and realized just how big CICHLIDS were. Not only that, like I mentioned previously I joined the ACA last year in May, well the ACA Convention was here in Washington D.C. Well really it was in Maryland but it's all pretty much the same. So I ended up staying home while all my family went on vacation to catch the convention. It was pretty interesting and I got to meet a lot of interesting and well educated people. I then found out about Capital Cichlids and will be joining them soon, I just have to mail in my registration and payment. So I went to the Convention and I got a lot of cool things, pamphlets, handouts, took tons of photos, t-shirts, books, newsletter, and all the goodies. I even was sure to buy me a convention shirt and mug. Well the mug I bought but when I got home realized they didn't place it in my bag and had to request it by email and it was eventually shipped to me. I got to meet the guy who has all the cichlid books in the world it seems and he even had information about the cichlids in Nicaragua and I was even able to obtain a copy of the DVD about cichlids in Nicaragua that I had seen several times while searching online. I was so excited. I then got home and watched the DVD and I never have went back.

I ended up creating my name "MrSickLid". I wanted it to be most importantly about cichlids, I wanted it to be hip and and easy to remember, easy to spell, and fun and interesting. I want to be the king of cichlids like a Jeff Rapps, which is one of the people I was able to meet at the convention that I had spoken to on the phone several times and I believe was the one that who initially informed me of the convention. Weirder than that Jeff pulled in to the convention in the parking lot right behind me when I arrived. I didn't know who he was at the time but then after being inside and going to his displays where he was selling the cichlids I found out it was him, the guy I had been talking to on the phone and didn't make a big scene or get all crazy like the others at the show but did let him know who I was and that I made it to the convention.

I want to also let you all know that I have an uncle that was born in Iran and I pretty much was raised by him. He married my moms sister and we were over there and several points in my life I even lived with them and went to school with my cousins, my aunt at one time even had custody of me. All to get a better education and to keep me away from the trouble I was in. Anyways, so I was pretty much raised by my "Baba" in farsi this is dad and it is pronounced like Bubba. I call him Baba and he is my Baba. But I feel so much like an Iranian or Persian and I love Persian rugs, I LOVE the food, and I love the music. So in doing my research on cichlids I found out there was a cichlid that comes from Iran. The Iranocichla. I would love to get me about 6 of these things if I could and breed them. Nobody I have talked to has them or knows where or how to get them. But I want them. Anyways I also got a chance to meet Anton Lamboj by hearing through talking to others at the convention that if anyone in the cichlid world knows how to get them he would know. Not even Jeff had them or was able to get them. Well to make a longer story short I got to meet and talk with Anton after looking for him all day and waiting and waiting, I even left a message for him at the front desk of the hotel so that I may have the chance to talk with him before leaving. So while in the lecture room he walks in and one of the gentleman that I had asked if he knew who this Anton Lamboj guy was walks up to me and says, "did you find Anton yet?" and I say "no" and then he points and says, "well that's him right there" so I went over and he looks right at me and immediately stops his conversation that he was having and asks me if I was the one who left him a message and I said yes. Then we talked and talked and all in all he didn't have the good news I was hoping for. But he was still such a cool guy.

So its been over a year now that I've had my aquarium and I want to stick to strictly having cichlids only from Nicaragua and create as much of a natural environment that I can with what I have. I also am interested in getting some Iranocichla if I ever can. I want to stick to these two regions. I would love to eventually own a home in Nicaragua and travel to conduct studies and research on the habitats and species of cichlids in Nicaragua. I am deep into this now. I tons of plans. My stepfather is a fish biologist although he doesn't work with fish anymore, that's what he majored in. I am getting more and more into this, what I call, "fish stuff". I have gained so much experience and knowledge over the last year and a half and have meet a lot of cool people. Even the owners of local aquarium shops know who I am. But I want to open up my own shop in the Metro D.C. area. All the ones around here are junk besides a place I went to in Baltimore but being from Virginia the drive is ridiculous.

I do the best with what I got and I don't settle for less. I would love for all of you to stay tuned and support me as much as you can. I want to make a difference and I want to do my part.

You can visit my webpage, although it is currently not up, at www.mrsicklid.com. You can also visit my Facebook profile for MrSickLid at http://www.facebook.com/MrSickLidProfile and be sure to "LIKE" the page as well at http://www.facebook.com/pages/MrSickLid/153751374734895. Also I am on Twitter and you can follow me @MrSickLid. Lastly you can contact me directly by emailing me at mrsicklid@gmail.com. I really would appreciate anyone and everyone that is a member of the ACA to support me both on Facebook and Twitter. I am just starting out and need the exposure. I have not yet really got into posting up information and the like but do on occasion and will be posting pics and videos more and more. I plan to educate the world on cichlids from Nicaragua and even the Iranocichla. Once again I appreciate all of your support and hope to have a strong support group so that more and more youth and everyone will learn and have the desire to know not only about cichlids from Nicaragua but more importantly cichlids in general. Remember... this was just an intro. Thanks again.

MrSickLid Contact Information

www.mrsicklid.com

www.facebook.com/MrSickLidProfile

www.facebook.com/pages/MrSickLid/153751374734895

www.twitter.com/MrSickLid

mrsicklid@gmail.com

MrSickLid

Members
MrSickLid

This was my intro I posted on the ACA forum. I would like to add a bite of information. I just recently joined the CCA and attended the Meeting in January and was really impressed and had a great time. The subject of the planted tanks was interesting because it answered a lot of questions I had been asking. Although I will more than likely not have a planted tank due to my cichlids and their digging habits it was good to get some good information. I would like to ask if anyone knows how I can get the PowerPoint presentation used at the meeting? Thanks again and stay tuned I will be posting a lot more here as well as on the ACA site.

Still looking for the Iranocichla if anyone has any information please let me know. Thanks again.

minifoot77

Members
well that sounds like you are pretty serious :) welcome to the forum and the best cichlid club in the world :)

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
WELCOME TO CCA!!
AS FOR Iranocichla Hormuzensis CHECK W/ JEFF RAPPS HE HAD SOME FOR SALE 2-3 YEARS BACK @ LIKE 4OR 5 JUVIES FOR 600.00 IF I RECALL CORRECTLY. HE MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OR POINT YOU TO SOMEONE WHO CAN.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Presentation?

The subject of the planted tanks was interesting because it answered a lot of questions I had been asking. Although I will more than likely not have a planted tank due to my cichlids and their digging habits it was good to get some good information. I would like to ask if anyone knows how I can get the PowerPoint presentation used at the meeting?
You could contact the speaker at his website, http://www.guitarfish.org/

MrSickLid

Members
Thank you all for all the "Welcome" messages. I will be in attendance at the next meeting. Sorry I just haven't had the time to keep up with the forum. Nice to meet all of you.