• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Scoop on Crenicichla availability - go for it

Plenipotentiary-at-large

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM, S.F. LaBudde <espnotes@earthlink.net> wrote:
ED-

Nice blog. Went to a talk yesterday hosted by the Capital Cichlid Association in DC on Crenicichla tendybaguassu and other Uruguayan ciclids. Lot of accomplished breeders up here that would like to try their hand at these, was wondering if you might be able to provide or direct us to some stock. Biologist myself, keen on getting viable captive bred stocks for these and other species established to diminish demand for wild caught specimens.

Appreciate your consideration.

Samuel LaBudde

Hi Samuel,

Thanks. Who gave the talk? For potential wild stock you could try these

Ken Davis (GA): fishfarm@mindspring.com
Scott Arney (NC): cichlidz1@aol.com

C. tendybaguassu, C. scottii, C. minuano and C. missioneira have never been bred in captivity so you'd have to settle for wild stock. C. celidochilus has been bred once successfully. But there's a few people that have bred vittata, saxatilis and lepidota. Ray Quennelle unsuccessfully bred the C. lepidota from the Rio Cuareim recently, so I am sure he'll get fry soon. I don't know his email, but he's BigPic on monsterfishkeepers forum. He's a really nice guy and wouldn't mind inquiry.

I'm trying to breed C. celidochilus and C. minuano. Sorry I don't really have any groups for sale, other than single pikes (C. scottii, C. vittata). But, maybe one of those contacts can help.

Cheers,
Ed

dogofwar

CCA Members
Scott Arney's headed down in March. Special request for him maybe :)

I don't know how abundant the tendybag's are vs. others...or how easy to catch.

Missionaira are most plentiful...followed by minuano (about 10 to 1 ratio). Don't think either has been bred in captivity.

Matt