• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Why do people like blue lights on their tanks?

Jefft

Members
night time.. LOL I several of my tanks are in my bedroom and the blue lights allow me to see the fish somewhat in a night-ish enviornment. Cool rippling effects on the ceiling and walls as well.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never been a fan of bulbs that look unnaturally blue for day time viewing. I prefer the warmer bulbs in the 4k to 7k range.

I did pick up a fixture for a tank that had built in blue LED "moonlights". Like Jeff said, it looks kinda cool at night, but I don't know if it has any benefits. I have put it on to give some of the smaller fish in the tank a better chance of not getting eaten at night.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Enlightened voyeurism

I'm not a fan of them.

Come on - when they're dialed in they're sooooo sexy. Pray re-consider. After a glass of wine or whatever a 'moon-lit" tank is hard to beat, and a roomful of them can be positively awesome. I imagine I know more about my fish from watching them at night and there's worse things than an occasional mid-night revel...

Only issues I have with moonlights is that some of them are too bright - it's a definite less-is-more thing IMO but that's a matter of taste - and masking the glare/reflection coming off the glass canopies. Guess that makes me a big fan, or am if a few impromptu moon cycles a month qualifies.

PS - I'm not at all sure that leaving the lights on at night diminishes predation - sort of doubles the amount of hours when whomever is trying to kill you can see you...

Mohr

Members
I like my moon LEDs at night i only keep them on till 2am then all lights are off but it's cool to watch them in the low moon light type setting

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Come on - when they're dialed in they're sooooo sexy. Pray re-consider...

I've got all of my lights on timers....what's the point of having moonlights when the timer takes care of it.

Now, if I got one of those fancy schmancy lights that's got an internal programmable timer and could turn the main lights off at a certain time, and leave on the blue lights till later, I might enjoy them, but I'm just not so into it I'm game to pay for the additional feature.

rich_one

Members
I think moonlights are cool as heck! I don't have any on my big tanks yet, but when I had a bunch of smaller tanks, wifey and I used to sit and play music and have a few drinks with the lights off and the moonlights going! Creates a nice glow in the room, imo.

-Rich

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I've got all of my lights on timers....what's the point of having moonlights when the timer takes care of it.

As do I, but all the various models of timers I own have override buttons that allow one to manually switch off the main lights and permit the moonlights to run. Fixtures that run moonlights on a separate circuit bypass the timers. It's all manual as I also refuse to pay for pricey programmable options/hardware.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Actinic lights really bring out the blues on Malawi haps and peacocks - fish with blue faces, more often than not....

I have a couple of tanks with one white bulb, one actinic. Huge difference when you turn off the actinic - the fish almost look yellow in comparison.

gotsnopa

Members
I just went LED on my 55 gallon that has the blue night time LEDs. It is really cool. Great for when watching TV at night and the tank is not so bright. Going to use LEDs on all my tanks from now on. My Cobalt Zebra looks great in the blue lights.

Greengirl

Members
I agree, I thought people bought blue lights to bring out the color of the fish. Pink lights are for living plants, and white lights are just plain lights. But I love the blue glow I get. It is very calming and it really makes my fish's colors pop.

Rasta Fish

Members
if you have fishes with lots of Blue like the African cichlids Peacocks it bring out the blue color
No so much for south American cichlids

Becca

Members

Now, if I got one of those fancy schmancy lights that's got an internal programmable timer and could turn the main lights off at a certain time, and leave on the blue lights till later, I might enjoy them, but I'm just not so into it I'm game to pay for the additional feature.

I'm in the same boat - they don't do anything for me and, why would I use them if it means I can't rely on my timer to turn them on and off. I do have a day/night timer, but when they're all in the same fixture, it doesn't help.

My pops-in-law called me when he got his Edge and was bummed because the only light was "these 4 little blue LED's" I had to tell him to press the switch the other direction. Of course, then he wanted to know if I had any clue how to rig it up to switch automatically - I don't. If anyone does know, I'd be happy to hear it.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Dancing in the moonlight

I'm in the same boat - they don't do anything for me and, why would I use them if it means I can't rely on my timer to turn them on and off.

Ambiance, nightlights for house guests and lyricism? Maybe it helps to be a night person...