• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Natural or Supernatural Tanks?

AquaStudent

Members
I've been debating this question with myself for quite some time.

As fishkeepers what is our job and how are we supposed to do it? When I joined the hobby a couple years ago I immediately jumped into planted tank. Quickly, I learned about lighting and nutrient requirements for different plants (the hard way at times). Then the situation became more complicated with information about c02 and other ferts.

Eventually I got the hang of this aquatic gardening and have a fairly successful planted nano tank.

One thing I have noticed is the flora part of the community flourishes c02 injection (even a simple DIY system). In most cases this is completely unnatural yet it works well.

My biggest question is:
Is it our job to try and replicate the natural environment these creatures are from (at least health/condition wise) or should it be our initiative to stretch the system beyond what nature provides?

This is an interesting question to me because fish have adjusted to parameters in nature and are well-suited for their niche in the ecosystem. By keeping them in glass boxes we are changing the game. How much though?

It's strange to think that we should try and provide the best possible environment but in doing so we aren't necessarily replicating nature.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a supernatural setup (adding ferts/c02) as long as it's done safely. We are making a system that we think is better than what they have adapted to in nature.

Then again, our goal may not necessarily be to create the best system for the inhabitants but to create something that is ascetically pleasing to us (while still being well suited to the inhabitants).

Plenipotentiary-at-large
May be simple

To enjoy and do no harm? I think goals/jobs in this context are subjective and personal - whatever floats your fish so to speak. No idea I'm sure but the exploration you mention seems a noble and worthy direction.

Greengirl

Members
To enjoy and do no harm? I think goals/jobs in this context are subjective and personal - whatever floats your fish so to speak. No idea I'm sure but the exploration you mention seems a noble and worthy direction.

I agree with Sam. As long as the fish are swimming happily, then I think you can experiment with the parameters in many different ways. I used to do plastic plants and the fish seemed pretty happy. Then I added floating living plants and some other tall ones I noticed that my fish love hiding under their shade. In a natural environment, plants often provide shade for fish and their water is not always as clear. In a tank environment we shine bright lights on them so we can see them better. It doesn't seem to harm them, but they are more sensitive to that light than we think.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Fortunately most of our aquatic charges seem pretty flexible with regard to decor.

As an aside, I'm not sure whether most cichlid habitats (some rocks, lots of gray mulm and some scattered algae-ish stuff) are actually closer in appearance to my random melange of sand, pots and PVC...or the aquatic gardens that other folks grow ;)

Matt

Jefft

Members
I want my tanks to look somewhat natural. Meaning, I use sand and real rocks at this point. I stack my rocks and include several different kinds. However, after watching nature channel stuff and seeing cichlids thrive in water with a herd of hippos and all that hippo poop I think there is a limit to just how natural I am willing to go. ;p

That said I have also watched a couple of shows we are all familiar with "Tanked" and "Tank Kings" I have watched these supposed "professional fish experts" put cichlids in tank situations that are not only against everything we as hobbyists learn but deplorable and even abusive. One show took a fridge and turned it into a tank but left the insides looking like a fridge with condiment bottles and then inserted several different kinds of cichlids, mbuna and hap. Tank Kings put a 180 g tank in a middle school and put in 180 different fish along with homemade decorations of the students, again obviously overcrowded to a point of abuse.

AquaStudent

Members
Haha...yeah. I stop short of hippo poo too :p

I just thought it was strange that some fish, for example, like floating and live plants whether or not they are indigenous to their native habitat. In some cases it's almost like the natural habitat isn't the best environment for them.