• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone on CCA have petrochromis in their tanks?

daninmd

Members
going to be moving in a few months to a new house and going to be seriously upgrading my tank (currently a 75g). Looking to get either a 7 or 8 foot tank when i move. this size opens up the possibility of fish i could never have now.

One thing i have been doing some research on is various petrochromis. I just love the size and color of them, specifically the moshi and red bulu.

they are pretty expensive from what i have seen. and pretty rare too.

Does anyone in CCA have any in there tanks? would love to see some pictures and get your thoughts on keeping them. from what i have read, they are very aggressive and you need big groups of each species (12+). i read a few articles that suggested you might be able to keep some robust mbuna in the same tank?

Anyway, if you keep them i would love to hear about the good/bad/etc.

iamzrad

Members
Check my avatar :)

I have a pair of Petrochromis trewavasae. They're WC's from a guy up in NJ that I bought a few years ago from the ECC boards. I initially had 6, the dominant male killed the other male and the other three females. It was about a $250 loss, so yes, they are a bit pricy!

The pair have only bred once for me, but only one sole fry survived. Either my petricola cats or gobies ate the rest.

The male is about 8" and the female around 5". They show little interest in each other and normally the male just chases her around. My tank is pretty crowded with 20 trophs, 6 gobies, and 3 petricola's in a 125gal.

I don't know too much about other Petro's, it varies for different species.

2lxjdol.jpg

You can see the male and female on the right side.

daninmd

Members
very cool looking fish. not much information on the web about these fish, but finding info here and there.