• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aquaripure nitrate filter?

You can call me on my cell, I have EXTENSIVE knowledge on denitrate filters. I have 2 x 100 gallon ones now that can take 1400 gallons of 100+ nitrate to 0 in 24 hours. No offense but try that with an algae scrubber.

Each of my 100g units probably ran me $350 but that includes a dosing pump and excessive charges for UPSing 50# of media for the bacteria. Each of mine are at least 7x bigger than the "Big Tuna" Aquaripure system.

You must have missed my Angelfish talk in the Jan meeting

frankoq

Members
You can call me on my cell, I have EXTENSIVE knowledge on denitrate filters. I have 2 x 100 gallon ones now that can take 1400 gallons of 100+ nitrate to 0 in 24 hours. No offense but try that with an algae scrubber.

Each of my 100g units probably ran me $350 but that includes a dosing pump and excessive charges for UPSing 50# of media for the bacteria. Each of mine are at least 7x bigger than the "Big Tuna" Aquaripure system.

will do.
I recently found this forum so no idea about that Jan meeting.
But I'll come to the one in April.

I got so interested in Environmental Engineering studying waste water treatment WWT so I could build a real fish room filter, I actually went back to UVa to see about finishing an engineering degree I started there back in 1980... But the classes for the first 2 years requires 4 days a week. I spoke with a student there working on her 4th PhD and she said I should try and help a thesis project as I would be bored in most of the classes.

So I decided to bag it, study small scale WWT used in 3rd world countries and will try to assist while floating around the pacific.

As for chemistry, until you grasp the that equation, you are asking for trouble. This is where aquaipure falls on its face and the source of all the complaints.

Last edited:

frankoq

Members

Do you have pictures? and where did you get yours?

I built mine, they are very easy to make. I seriously doubt that there is one my size commercially available since it is much cheaper to make.

frankoq

Members
Doug, would you consider writing a DIY article to be hosted on this site or another?

+1 on that request.

Sorry I could not call you Doug. Busy day at the office.
But I do want to contact you and see what can be done.

I think I posted something that were you to read and watch the youtubes, you can design your own. Problem with the smaller ones compared to mine will be the correct dose of the carbon. Since I am flowing through 20x+ what you would have with a 5 gallon, your doses would be smaller than what a dosing pump could handle. You can resolve this using a stock sugar water solution but would need to experiment on how much sugar would be dissolved and what the dosing pump needs set at. At my flow rates a 2ml vodka / hour dose is fine. I tried using white vinegar but it required WAY more than I was willing to add to my system, although it may work for you. For nitrate filter, you will be building a bio-sand filter (the second one listed).

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20422