• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Has anyone tried Nualgi?

manbern

Members
I was scrolling through my feed on Facebook, when I saw an advertisement for this product called Nualgi. Apparently, Nualgi is some kind of solution that introduces some "nano-nutrient" that competes for the same nutrients that nuisance algae thrives on. And I guess the claim is that it will diminish, if not, eradicate nuisance algae in your aquarium, providing crystal clear water, and better overall health and appearance of your fish, substrate, decorations, etc. Nualgi claims that it is not an algaecide, so it should be safe for all inhabitants, including invertebrates.

Prices seem kinda steep: $100 for 500ml, $30 for 100ml, and $18 for 50ml. For freshwater setups, you are supposed to dose 1.2ml per 30 gallons every 4 days. But if this product is all it claims to be, it might be worth it.

Has anyone actually used this stuff yet? If so, how well does it work, if at all? Here's a link to the website, and a link to a YouTube video of a "customer" using the stuff.

http://nualgiaquarium.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYTWRytCt-I

manbern

Members

I gave it my best shot, but I have to be honest, I got lost before finishing the first page. All those scientific terms were just way beyond my comprehension, lol. Maybe a cliff notes version would help me out.

I did write the company directly to see if they could send me a trial sample. Unfortunately, they said their free trial sample period ended in May. But they said if I could get one of the administrators of CCA to contact them, they would be more than happy to send some of their product to give away at one of the fish club meetings! So, having said that, who could I pass this info to and get the ball rolling on this?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hannibal

Members
I have seen this on my feed many time as well and have always wondered the same thing. I will have to give that PDF a look.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I gave it my best shot, but I have to be honest, I got lost before finishing the first page. All those scientific terms were just way beyond my comprehension, lol. Maybe a cliff notes version would help me out.

I did write the company directly to see if they could send me a trial sample. Unfortunately, they said their free trial sample period ended in May. But they said if I could get one of the administrators of CCA to contact them, they would be more than happy to send some of their product to give away at one of the fish club meetings! So, having said that, who could I pass this info to and get the ball rolling on this?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Yea same.
I also contacted them they are no longer giving the same trials out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

manbern

Members
Please send the info to me and Christine (chriscoli).

Thanks,
Jon

Not much info to pass on really. They didn't give me any forms to fill out or anything. I would just click the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of their home page (link in the original post). Maybe you can use my name as a reference to jog their memory?

manbern

Members
Yea same.
I also contacted them they are no longer giving the same trials out.

Maybe that's a good indication that their stuff works! There's a YouTube video titled "Nuagi Farming" (not certain it's the same product) where it shows how Nualgi is used to revitalize nutrient deficient farmlands without the use of fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides. It appears that Nualgi was originally developed for farmers, but someone discovered an application for use in the aquarium hobby. Interesting stuff!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Yep came across similar stuff.
It's good at breaking down easy and was used in the pre-treating of water that sat in retention ponds etc. there's a third party journal/review if the product, but can't find it now. When I do i will post it

manbern

Members
So I pulled the trigger and purchased 100ml of Nualgi. I'll probably do a progress check video and post it on YouTube, but it'll be at least 2 months down the road before I finish the bottle and any noticeable differences (if any) will be seen. I have a MacBook: Is there any good, reasonably priced video editing software out there? I don't need anything professional, but I would like to be able to splice in different videos with fade in/fade out capability, be able to put text/titles/headings on the video, and maybe a picture in picture or split screen capability (so I can do side-by-side comparisons)?

That scientific article that Superzoo posted is stating the complete opposite of what they are claiming.

The study uses Nualgi as a nutrient source for GROWING diatom algae not reducing it.

Basically the Nualgi is an alumina silicate that is bonded with micronutrients that the diatom algae can use for growth.

To culture microalgae the basic nutrient formula is Guillard's f/2 formula. This is a published and universally used algal culture medium. To grow diatoms you also have to add silicate for the diatoms to form their skeletons called "tests". The standard nomenclature for this formula is "f/2 Si".

What the Nualgi does is bind the micronutrients (everything but nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium) to a nanoparticle of alumina silicate. This keeps the micronutrients from precipitating out where they would be unavailable.

What the study did was evaluate the lipid content of this species of diatom cultured using various methods including the use of Nualgi.

You could probably stretch it that the Nualgae alumina silicate could absorb phosphate from water, reducing unwanted algae growth. But this would be counter productive to it's commercial use as an algae culture growth medium so I would have to think that the amount added is so low that it is functionally useless.

You would get more effect with Kent Phosphate sponge which is also alumina silicate (it does not have algae culture micronutrients bonded to it).

Andy