• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dress Form

Greengirl

Members
Are there are any creative people in CCA who sew their own stuff and have a female dress form I can borrow?

Greengirl

Members
I'm trying to make my own body armor out of a duct tape mold. I either need a form to make the mold from, or someone needs to duct tape me. :)

JLW

CCA Members
That failing, if you check Craig's List, I guarantee you'll find someone to duct tape you.... you just have to look in the right section.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Hmm...From your WaPo picture a few weeks back, we know you're a cosplayer. Now, you're making body armor. Do I detect a whiff of LARP?

Blaise

Greengirl

Members
I like to make my own costumes for everything so they are unique. I want to make the Artemisia costume from 300 Rise of an Empire.
300+rise+of+an+empire+artemisia+costume.jpg

Greengirl

Members
But I can't sew, but I am good at crafting. So i think I could have a lot of fun making the breastplate. I make the mold out of duct tape, then I use a mold-able sheet plastic called worbla and heat it over the mold to make a smooth armor. I love projects like this, I'm just glad I have a girlfriend who can sew the leather on the bodice.

Becca

Members
But I can't sew, but I am good at crafting. So i think I could have a lot of fun making the breastplate. I make the mold out of duct tape, then I use a mold-able sheet plastic called worbla and heat it over the mold to make a smooth armor. I love projects like this, I'm just glad I have a girlfriend who can sew the leather on the bodice.

You don't need to sew the bodice - just use black duct tape or a thick electrical tape.

Leffler817

CCA Members
If you can't get Tony's, my wife has an antique one I snagged for her from a garage sale. It's not a size adjustable one, like the contemporary ones, but rather it's a size 12 from 1956. I have no idea what size that translates to today. There's definitely a difference. But alas, getting the form to you may be a problem since I live on the shore....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
When do you need it by? I've made chainmail might be able to help there.

Also check out pepakura it's cool way to make armor, helmets and other stuff with card stock then applying resin to Harden it.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Made your own chainmail eh? Never got that far back my my SCA days.

Blaise

There's a few ways I kind of cheated...I wrapped wire around a dowel. Then cut straight down to get my ring. Then pick your pattern and go from there.

You can leave pattern as is.
Weld or not weld
hammer out the rings before begining your pattern to get a more traditional look.
There's tons of options but for this I would just use wire and not bother with welding.

If I remember correctly you can get Steel to turn black with hydrogen peroxide.

Greengirl

Members
WILL that would be amazing if you could help me make chain mail sleeves! I was going to cheat and use black lace but it really calls for chain mail. It would be so much fun if we could work on this together. Then you can go as one of the 300 :p

Greengirl

Members
This is for Halloween and future comicons. So I have until the week before Halloween to get this done so I can show off at parties!

Spine

Members
My mom had a adjustable one. I'll call her and see if she still has it and would loan it out. She's in your areas, but you would have too pick it up.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
WILL that would be amazing if you could help me make chain mail sleeves! I was going to cheat and use black lace but it really calls for chain mail. It would be so much fun if we could work on this together. Then you can go as one of the 300 :p
Let me know u still have my number right?