• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stand on wheels?

lkelly

Members
I'm setting up a few tanks in my basement (cement floor). I was thinking about the benefit of being able to move them without a complete breakdown (maybe heavily drained) via some casters on the bottom of the stands. Anyone ever done that? Downside? I'd assume that I would need some casters rated for the total weight (or 1/4 per), and preferably ones that lock so that the tanks won't accidentally start going in motion if a kid knocks into it.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would be very careful with putting a tank on casters. Tanks are made to take lateral loads of water moving side to side. I'd be concerned about compromising the seals on the tank if you moved it with any amount of water in them.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I would be very careful with putting a tank on casters. Tanks are made to take lateral loads of water moving side to side. I'd be concerned about compromising the seals on the tank if you moved it with any amount of water in them.

True but removing half if the water while moving would compromise the seal. I would be scared of rocks or decore falling in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Harbor freight has 1000th load dollies on save for 7 buck. I plan to buy a couple for water change drums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I actually moved 29 and 30 gallon tanks, a little less than half full with the fish still in tanks, on metal stands, using moving dollies that I added a piece of 1/2" shelving to fill the hole. Moved them out of one room (with carpet) into another with bare wood. The "trippy" part was lifting the stand up high enough to get the legs to sit on the dolly. Well, it worked fine, although the 29 started sliding off the stand (an Oh sh**t moment!)- I did this by myself too with no losses.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I actually moved 29 and 30 gallon tanks, a little less than half full with the fish still in tanks, on metal stands, using moving dollies that I added a piece of 1/2" shelving to fill the hole. Moved them out of one room (with carpet) into another with bare wood. The "trippy" part was lifting the stand up high enough to get the legs to sit on the dolly. Well, it worked fine, although the 29 started sliding off the stand (an Oh sh**t moment!)- I did this by myself too with no losses.

Wow!

lkelly

Members

How exactly did you stop the tank sliding? That sounds like an event that once it gets started...

carl_d_c

Members
There was a recent article in Amazonas magazine with a guy who had a bunch of tanks on mobile stands. I built one for my son's room several years ago, it's a frag tank with a refugium below. It fits in the dormer window in his room, and we wanted to be able to roll it out (slowly) for maintenance. Make sure to get QUALITY casters, that won't get a "flat spot" from sitting in one place with a load on them, I got the red urethane wheels from Woodcraft, don't skimp on bargain wheels!

Forester

Members
I have the big metal gorilla stands from home depot with a few tanks on each and they roll but not so easily that they would if you bumped into it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the 29 gallon tank had a 20 gallon tank on the bottom part of the stand!

Years ago I used to do maintenance for a doctor who had his tanks on casters in the basement. A 150 and a couple of 20's. We didn't move the 150 all that often (I think only 2-3 times) in the years I worked there but we never had any problems.

The 20's we moved all the time and never had an issue. Just drain it about halfway first so the water doesn't slosh out when you move it.

Andy

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Years ago I used to do maintenance for a doctor who had his tanks on casters in the basement. A 150 and a couple of 20's. We didn't move the 150 all that often (I think only 2-3 times) in the years I worked there but we never had any problems.

The 20's we moved all the time and never had an issue. Just drain it about halfway first so the water doesn't slosh out when you move it.

Andy

That's what I was telling them b4ooo lol.