• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Local Stand Builder

Cartel

Members
Recently picked up a couple 40B's that I would like to setup up as QT's. Kinda disappointed with what I'm finding (or lack of) online. Anyone know of a reasonable stand builder in the area? Not looking for anything fancy. 2x4 down and dirty will do. I would build one myself but I don't have any equipment nor woodworking skills what so ever.

My other option is the dual tank stands I'm seeing online but I don't have any experience with them.

Cartel

Members
Thanks for the offer Will. Ill let you know if need be.

I saw the shelving idea when I was doing my research and that looks like it would be great. However I am hesitant. I recently bought some similar racking for storage in my basement and just didn't know if it I could trust all that weight on it. I know the capacity far exceeds the weight I would be putting on it but still sketches me out. Im glad to hear you all have been running them for a decent amount of time. Any issues?

This seems like the easiest, quickest and second most cost effective way for me to go other then building one myself. It may be the way I need to go.

chriscoli

Administrator
I used the heavy-duty Edsal shelving (from Lowes, I think) and it's rated for 1000 lbs per shelf and 3000 lbs per unit. They even advertise it on the display now.

I have a 100 gal on the bottom shelf, and 2 shelves above that each with 2 40B tanks on them. You're welcome to stop by (I'm in Burtonsville, MD) and take a look.

I'll also be making some new racks very soon if you want to learn how to do them yourself....or bring your own lumber and use my tools.

Becca

Members
I've used heavy duty Gorilla Racks.

Also, Damian builds nice stands if you do decide you want something more showy.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not much easier or more flexible than concrete blocks and 2x4s. I use the 6" wide ones throughout my fishroom.

Great to see you, Will!

Coming to the Jan meeting?

Cheers,
Matt

mab

Members
I build and use 2"x4" stands. Several of us just helped verbal build stands for his new fishroom - he posted that build on facebook. I also recently build a fancier stand for a fellow member. I have all the tools. I'm willing to have anyone bring materials for a dry fit build to take home.

Check out my facebook page - Restazonia - for pics.

Michael

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Wil,

I helped Will with his 2x4 stands and have the equipment to do this with or for you, all gratis of course. I live in Silver Spring and am retired, so I have lots of time. I would check with Will for design specs if you wish to go this route.

Regards

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Heya Wil! Long time, bud.

While I don't have any, seen those Edsel shelves at a few other member's places. They fit 40 breeders perfectly.

If you are still thinking of doing one out of wood, you can swing by my place some time. We can catch up and drink beers while we're at it. :)

Cartel

Members
So I bought an edsal rack from Lowes. So far I can't get the tank to sit flush and it has a gap in one spot. If I can't get it the tanks to sit nice and even then I might be taking someone up on helping me build one. Thanks!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So I bought an edsal rack from Lowes. So far I can't get the tank to sit flush and it has a gap in one spot. If I can't get it the tanks to sit nice and even then I might be taking someone up on helping me build one. Thanks!

Pick up pink ridged insulation foam to sit the tanks on it will help level and distribute weight etc... Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Which shelf type did you get? I ended up cutting my own from plywood and layering with foam like Will said.

Cartel

Members
Thanks for the tips. I ended up cutting my own piece of thicker plywood and now its perfect. Nice clean setup. Thanks!