• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ken's Fish Food - Best Recommendation?

skanda

Members
Can anyone recommend the the best types of Ken's Fish Food based on personal experience?

I am looking for color enhancers for African Cichlids and barbs

- Best Flake Food for Peacocks and Haps
- Best Pellet food for Peacock and Haps
- Best Pellets for Barbs (Ominvores)
- Best Flakes for barbs

Any of Ken's brands comparable to New Life Spectrum Brand?

Thanks!

zackcrack00

Members
I actually just got an order from Ken today. I am combining Immune Booster Flake, Spirulina Flake, and ColorMax+Naturose Flake for my mbuna. I will tell you how it works out.

Beeman

Members
I've used Ken's spirulina, angelfish, earthworm and colormax flakes. I highly recommend all but the colormax. Neither my mbuna, nor any of my new world cichlids like it! ALL others are eagerly taken. The angelfish flakes are a blend of several different flakes, and has been my staple food for all of my new world/community fish.
In my opinion, variety is the key to healthy fish. Supplement flakes with live and frozen foods. Taken a step further, a variety of flake options, a variety of frozen, and a variety of live foods is about as good as one can do!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've used Ken's earthworm flakes for most of my fish and they eat it vigorously. I keep mostly New Worlds and community type dithers, so I can't speak to its use with Africans.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've been using his Plankton/Krill/Spirulina flake for a few months and my fish seem to like it and are doing well.

Beyond that, hard to say. How does one know if fish food is good for your fish?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
There are plenty of debates on different food types out there on the internet. I usual judge a food by how readily it is received by my fish, how it appears to affect the amount of waste in the tank and the general health and growth of the fish.

Anything that my normally ravenous fish don't eat quickly doesn't pass the test.

skanda

Members
Thanks for the great advice guys! It is nice to get an idea from other members on their personal experiences using the different types of food. Cheers!

chriscoli

Administrator
I've used many of Ken's spirulina-based flakes for my Mbuna, and various other shrimp and krill sinking pellets for my catfish....all were eaten with gusto.