• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Artificial Insemination on Swordtails

zackcrack00

Members
Many fancy varieties of swordtails portray males having elongated gonopodiums. These gonopodiums are so long that they cannot properly inseminate the female. A great example of this situatin would be lyretail swordtails. The male's gonopodium is elongated and he has extra finna he attached to it holding is closer to his body. Science has proven the lyretail gene is a dominant mutation (such as a blue-eye gene is technically a mutation and is dominant over green eyes).

Therefore, to get lyretail swords, you must cross males with regular gonopodiums (normal-finned strains) with lyretail females. If you can't get lyretail females, get a male and perform artificial insemination. I'm thinking about trying this, has anyone ever done it? Please offer advice, as usual is it much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
That sounds like an experiment worth trying.
I've never done it.....what did you have in mind? (In terms of going about getting sperm from the male)
Or are you attempting to remove both assisting/guiding the male?

zackcrack00

Members
That sounds like an experiment worth trying.
I've never done it.....what did you have in mind? (In terms of going about getting sperm from the male)
Or are you attempting to remove both assisting/guiding the male?

You have to rotate the gonopodium, them squeeze, then the seed comes out. You then take it and make a salt solution and put it inside the female.

Jmty

Members
not artificial ,just a regular sword male, waiting to see the outcome,my fat fingers wont allow me to do all that haha,science project is not my cup of tea.