• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ATM vs Fish Tank Kings

Harleyrider5

Members
Which do you like and why?

My vote is ATM I think their tanks are more impressive and I think fish tank kings are very irrisponsible constantly going into the ocean and catching fish that are use to the ocean and confining them to a tank vs finding captive bred fish.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MontelBoom

Members
I vote ATM but to be honest both shows have there drawbacks such as not talking about the nitrogen cycle,making it seem like it takes a day to set up a tank, etc. But ATM gets my vote for the above reasons and because it's fun to watch.

MontelBoom

Members
Also the Fish tank kings crew bag on their fish wiz Francis when no one else knows what their talking about. I mean come on? Sharks and Clown fish? Have they ever watched finding nemo before?

Last edited:

verbal

CCA Members
I haven't watched either for a while. Too much manufactured drama.

Definitely the biggest drawback to Tanked(ATM) is the manufactured drama. It really seems to be overdone and distract from the show.

Given the costs of their livestock/set-ups I can't imagine they aren't using either cycled filter media or a bacteria supplement. I don't know as much about the marine side, but some of their stockings aren't terrible but often could be better. One I remember was a fairly large African Cichlid tank, but it was a very vertical set-up. I think that ultimately is driven by the client as much as the company.

I haven't seen Fish Tank Kings, so I can't comment on that one.

npbarca

Members
It might be just me, but I really dislike ATN's fake coral and "aquascaping". Sometime it looks way too cheesy.

Becca

Members
My husband watches both, I don't like either. I think that Francis at FTK at least knows his stuff, whereas the guys at ATM are both buffoons. They might know something, but you'd never know it.

I have to agree on the fake aquascaping with ATM - looks cheesy and I never like it. The Annapolis mall has two installations done by ATM. I went to see them maybe 6 months after they were put in, and I thought they looked like hell.

Greengirl

Members
I never heard of Fish tank Kings before. But I find myself fastforwarding through the filler in ATM. I like seeing them select the fish and the final set up. I remember the one that went up in Annapolis Mall. It looks pretty now, but I wonder how all the fish handled the nitrogen cycle. I heard a lot died and had to be replaced.

Harleyrider5

Members
If you have a netflix account they just added the fish tank kings seasons on there. If you have a video game console you can stream it thru netflix that way too.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I all but avoid all these types of "reality" shows because of the manufactured drama; it's kind of a theme in them all. I've got lots of interests (home remodeling/repair, muscle car restoration, fresh water aquariums), and there are lots of shows out there on the subject (a whole channel on home remodeling repair - DIY)but the shows spend too much time with the drama Would love to see them spend more time on the creativity and skills needed as a way of learning, but the drama (and not to mention the commercials) drive me away.

Harleyrider5

Members
I can understand tho why they incorporate the drama. They can focus on the info about the fish, but after awhile the same fish are going to get beat to death and they wont have anymore to tell. I like seeing the build of the tanks. With any job there is going to be drama. I do agree I would like to see more detail anf info about the start up of their tanks.

JLW

CCA Members
I've met Francis, the Fish Geek, and he actually knows his fish, and cares about the tanks. Most of the fish provided by either show are wild collected, FTK just acknowledges this fact while ATM ignores it.

I've seen very little of either show, not being "into" TV in the least. But, I've seen ATM put wildly incompatible fish together, massively overstock tanks, and create tanks that are completely unsuitable as aquarium habitats (my opinions). For instance, they created a fish tank in a winery that was shaped like a wine bottle, standing up. The low surface area of the "neck" of the bottle resulted in massive fish die off (a knowledgeable installation would have tilted the bottle to increase surface area). They created a tank with a skateboard ramp on the side of it. Not only did this quickly become opaque from scratches, but fish have never thrived in it, in no small part due to the noise. They have placed decorative elements in to tanks that kill fish.

And while you think they may be creating stable environments with some sort of bacterial product or cycled media, virtually all of their tanks are reported to have massive die offs within the first two or three months. They're generally also heavily, heavily overstocked -- for instance, the "phone booth" tank that they are famous for had at least 20x the number of fish it could support. Further, many of the fish they placed in the tank needed much, much more swimming room than the tank provided.

ATM does not provide continued maintenance services, and will often turn these services over to local companies. I've talked to some of these local companies. ATM creates unrealistic expectations in their clients (Sure, you can keep 75 yellow tangs in a 125 gallon tank) which frequently result in disaster. Most of the fish placed in the tanks by ATM are dead within a month, and many of those clients -- after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars or more -- have the aquariums removed.

To add insult to injury, the aquariums are created without thought to cleaning them. The large, heavy, and often delicate decorations do not hold up to scrubbing, and are often secured to the tank, requiring someone get INTO the tank to clean them. They aren't removable for cleaning. Large sections of the acrylic are often visible, but inaccessible to cleaning tools, which means they'll soon be algae covered.

Their tanks are non sustainable in any way. ATM knows nothing about aquariums past the "set it up and have a spectacular reveal" stage, and cares nothing for the health and well being of the animals placed in the tanks. Other online posts have spotted them placing dead, dying, or diseased fish in the tank -- they have 50 clown fish in a bucket and dump them into the tank, and you can spot that one that sinks straight down. (Though I never saw it myself, the fish in their logo had ich for the longest time).

I've purchased some of the Living Colour decorations used by Fish Tank Kings; they're better quality than the ATM stuff, and a whole lot easier to clean. While that show has its share of manufactured drama, the FTK guys seem to actually care about their fish, and have on staff biologists. Sadly, ratings talk, and the show where a pair of buffoons clown around and break stuff is the higher rated show.

My opinions.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Wow, thats pretty bad^

To me both shows are almost completely staged. Theres no way they have a huge setback and barely make it every time.
Plus like many of you said, allot of the tanks are overcrowded and cleaning the tanks must be a nightmare causing the owners to neglect the tank, the fish dying, the tank being sold, and then the same thing happening again.

Harleyrider5

Members
Very interesting. I will have to go look some of that up my self.