• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sunlight on tank

kjames

Members
I builded a sunroom with lots of windows and sky lights. Is there any problems with lots of sun light on the tank?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum, Matthew. I moved your post to its own thread.

In general, sunlight on a tank isn't a bad thing, but will usually lead to a build up of algae on the surfaces in the tank.

What kind of fish do you keep?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree about the algae. It's not the worst thing in the world, and you may be able to minimize the algae.

chriscoli

Administrator
Welcome to the forum!

Lots of people will tell you it's a no-no, but it's really up to you. You'll have more algae, and you'll have greater temperature swings in the tank from day to night, but sometimes I like the way sunlight tanks look! And you could do some awesome things with growing plants both in the tank and emerging from the tank. Could be very awesome!

Take advantage of sunlight and turn your tank into a planted tank. There are many plant friendly cichlid you can keep, and vigorous growing plants will out compete algae, and help remove nitrate.

spazmattik

Members
I dont think it would be very good for large central / sa cichlids. I have a tank sitting near (about 10 ft) from a large sliding glass door and i keep the blinds closed all the time. Even with that i get a lot of green algae build up faster than i would like.