• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Who Went to The Catfish Convention?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Did you attend the 2014 Catfish Convention?

What was your favorite part?

Thanks to PVAS for a fun event!

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
I registered and attended on Friday night and Saturday... not going to be able to make the auction today.

Favorites were Dr. Stiasny's presentation on the Congo and meeting so many great folks in the CCA Hospitality Suite on Saturday night!

Matt

Leffler817

CCA Members
I could have listened to Dr. Stiasny's presentation for another hour or so. It was really fascinating and she barely touched on catfish! Birger Kamprath's talk on Synos was great as well, that was probably my favorite, as I wasn't sure what to expect going into CatCon. It was a great convention and I too missed the auction. :(

chris_todd

Members
I got there late on Saturday, and only caught Dr Stiasny's talk and Hans Evers talk. Dr Stiasny's talk on the Congo was awesome, and reminded me of a talk I saw at my first catfish convention by Wayne Leibel on the geography of the amazon basin. Both talks were awesome, and really helped me understand how the physical characteristics of a river create many biotopes. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

blkmjk

Members
Wasn't able to attend. Sux I had to work. I was able to pick ac sweet group of brazilinsis!

Thanks Chris Todd!

Drew

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It was a great time. Hans Evers and Jules Dignall were my favorite presenters. It was really good to see so many folks!

YSS

Members
I was able to stop by for an hour on Saturday afternoon. I was only able to take a look at the fish room and vendor room. Picked up 4 demasonis from Frank. Ran into a few folks and said hi.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I went to most of it. Best part was Dr. Stiassny's talk, even though I don't think I'll ever have a fish from the Congo in any of my tanks. The other talks were very good, too, and PVAS always puts on an amazing auction.

spazmattik

Members
Wish i could have made it. Sounds like it was pretty cool. I was already on the fence about going with so much going on and then a family emergency killed any shot i had at attending.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I went. Had a great time. Thanks to George, Andrew, Gerry and Sherry.... and many others I am sure, for the great event.

Showed up on Friday after work and stayed until Sunday AM before the auction. Only caught a few talks - Ian's Cory collecting, Jule's collecting in India and Hans on Asia exporting/shopping. All three were outstanding. Wish I could have caught a couple more, but there really was constantly so much going on.

I brought 5 fish to the show and unfortunately lost a couple. It happens. I did win a great piece of original art from Ian Fuller for winning the discus class - as I was the only one foolish enough to bring one, lol.

Picked up a couple of bags of fish and some art from Uncle Chuck (see the other thread). Most importantly, I got to hang out with a bunch of old friends as well as make some new ones.

As usual, one of my favorite events. We really are lucky to have it here in our back yard.

Thanks again to those who made it happen. :)

Greengirl

Members
This was unfortunately the worst experience I have ever had at a fish show. I want to bring up that no one has mentioned the many deaths that occurred in the fish show room, including my own. I trusted that the people preparing the fish show knew what they were doing. But all my angels, and quite a few of other people's fish died. More than I have ever seen.

I have never shown fish before, I acknowledge should have treated the water myself. But I was told I could just throw my fish in there and they would be fine. But they all died within three hours. And so did many other peoples'. this tragedy has eaten away at me for the entire show and it made me angry that no one brought it up.

But i do want to thank everyone that helped me get through my loss. A lot of you members were so sympathetic to me and you all made me feel so much better. I understand that losing fish is not a new thing, and this is not the last time it will happen, but those were all the adult male angels I had and they were special to me. And to have them die through the mistakes of someone else just makes me feel so sad for them.

Moral of this story, please double check the show water when you bring fish to display and don't ever trust that it is perfectly safe unless you did it yourself.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I got there late saturday morning, and stayed until the auction had been under way for a while on sunday. Had a great time, met some new people from around the country, and learned some new stuff in the talks. Thanks to PVAS for putting on a well run event.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Really tragic and sad to see you and other folks lose fish, especially prized ones.

Under the best of circumstances fish shows are tough on fish. This one seemed to be tougher than most.

It's easy to say in retrospect but a few tips: 1) Always add dechlor/dechloramine to the tank before adding the fish (I add a generous amount of Chloram-X powder), 2) check the temperature and add some warm water if necessary, 3) Cover the tank, even with plastic wrap - who else was a little scared the 2' electric cat was gonna jump out?, 4) make sure that there's plenty of air on the tank, 5) keep an eye on your fish for the first 15 or 20 mins that they're in the show tank and 6) If possible, use your own water for the show tanks (or at least part).

I muled about 30 gallons of dechlorinated Maryland tap to Louisville this summer for my show fish because I knew that the local tap was like liquid rock. That's like transporting an extra (large) person...but I think it was worth it.

Showing fish is a lot of work and entails a good deal of risk, even locally, but you've got the enter to win. And congrats to the winners!

Matt

This was unfortunately the worst experience I have ever had at a fish show. I want to bring up that no one has mentioned the many deaths that occurred in the fish show room, including my own. I trusted that the people preparing the fish show knew what they were doing. But all my angels, and quite a few of other people's fish died. More than I have ever seen.

I have never shown fish before, I acknowledge should have treated the water myself. But I was told I could just throw my fish in there and they would be fine. But they all died within three hours. And so did many other peoples'. this tragedy has eaten away at me for the entire show and it made me angry that no one brought it up.

But i do want to thank everyone that helped me get through my loss. A lot of you members were so sympathetic to me and you all made me feel so much better. I understand that losing fish is not a new thing, and this is not the last time it will happen, but those were all the adult male angels I had and they were special to me. And to have them die through the mistakes of someone else just makes me feel so sad for them.

Moral of this story, please double check the show water when you bring fish to display and don't ever trust that it is perfectly safe unless you did it yourself.

Localzoo

Board of Directors

I've got an extra male koi your welcome to he's originally from your stock. Just text me

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reed

Very Fishe
Had a fun time,. Friday night was lots of fun touring the rooms on 3 and drinking like a fish! Attend a few talks on Saturday . Sunday auction was great and appreciate all the volunteers. Picked up a few fish and stuff for the fish room. Meet a few new breeds from out of town.