• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Brine Shrimp

chriscoli

Administrator
If I do hatche a batch out, I use a hatching cone. I've never done a batch so large I needed a tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that most folks who feed live brine use it for baby fish. What would be the purpose of raining larger ones?

Matt

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have raised baby brine shrimp to adults in a 20 gallon tank years ago. The adults can be a good food for larger fish and particularly saltwater fish since the shrimp will live in salt water until they are eaten.

I hatched baby brine shrimp, collected them, that is removed most of the shells and put them in the 20 gallon. I do not remember the exact salt concentration I used, it is important to get that right as brine shrimp hatch best in lower salt levels but need much higher salt levels as they grow. They also need a highly oxygenated water produced by lots of air bubbles. I did not use filtration but a sponge filter could help. Food can be baking yeast, powdered fish foods, or algae. Green water is great but getting green salt water is not easy. Spirulina algae powder, can be purchased at health food stores, should work well. To keep it going add more baby brine shrimp at least once a week.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...a=X&ei=n7JoVLioKNikyATmhYCABw&ved=0CBwQvwUoAA

I was asking to see if it was feasible, looking at different ways of obtaining the best (and money saving) food sources. When I had a 75 gallon with a group of leopard geckos, I learned to harvest my own crickets and stuff them with protein so my geckos would have the best diet. Im looking to doing the same for my fish.

I think that most folks who feed live brine use it for baby fish. What would be the purpose of raining larger ones?

Matt

Thanks Frank, Im still doing the research on this and other live food sources.

I have raised baby brine shrimp to adults in a 20 gallon tank years ago. The adults can be a good food for larger fish and particularly saltwater fish since the shrimp will live in salt water until they are eaten.

I hatched baby brine shrimp, collected them, that is removed most of the shells and put them in the 20 gallon. I do not remember the exact salt concentration I used, it is important to get that right as brine shrimp hatch best in lower salt levels but need much higher salt levels as they grow. They also need a highly oxygenated water produced by lots of air bubbles. I did not use filtration but a sponge filter could help. Food can be baking yeast, powdered fish foods, or algae. Green water is great but getting green salt water is not easy. Spirulina algae powder, can be purchased at health food stores, should work well. To keep it going add more baby brine shrimp at least once a week.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...a=X&ei=n7JoVLioKNikyATmhYCABw&ved=0CBwQvwUoAA

dhavalsp

Members
Did you end up finding a source for full grown brine shrimp? Congressional aquarium sells it, but price seemed too steep. Please let me know if anyone cultivates and sells in DC area.

Need some for one finicky discus!

thanks,

dhaval

Jt731

Members
Centerville Aquarium has them. Not sure what the price was

I have zero issues hatching bbs but getting them to the adult stage never happened

verbal

CCA Members
I think Daphnia are likely going to be easier to culture than brine shrimp.

I haven't tried it, but Dave Ramsey in Georgia has a technique of raising brine shrimp outside during the summer.