• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jack Dempsey Fry!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So if any of you have seen other posts of mine, you might have seen the pics of my Electric Blue Jack Dempseys or the blue gene carriers that I bred from them. I have very good news. The blue gene carriers have wrigglers today! I'm so excited, because these were from the last group remaining from my big EBJD that died, and so these fish have his genes, so hopefully out of this group I will get some EBJD fry.

My question to pose is this: When do I pull the parents from the fry? If I do it too early, the fry will not survive very well, even after being free swimming, and if I do it too late, the parents could possibly eat the fry or eliminate the EBJD fry from the group. Anyone have any thoughts?

***Please move this to New World. I didn't realize until now that I posted in the wrong section! Thanks.

Last edited:

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Once the fry are free swimming, I'd remove the parents. As soon as you can tell ebjd from bgjd fry, you should separate them as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Once the fry are free swimming, I'd remove the parents. As soon as you can tell ebjd from bgjd fry, you should separate them as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

True once they are identified move them. They grow slower and might get picked on. Plus seem to not be as quick at feeding

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Right. I had already planned on separating the fry as they were able to be spotted apart. I am more concerned about the parents culling the fry before I get the chance. I don't have any live feed for the young, so I have to wait until they are eating on their own before I move the parents. That is, unless you think that they will eat frozen BBS.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Well I doubt it is going to matter. I was slowly losing some fry each day, which happens and I know this from other groups of Jacks I have bred. However, this morning, looking in the tank it appears that I only have about 10 left out of a group of what I assume was about 150! I have no idea what is going on, but I suspect these guys are not very good parents. They are EXTREMELY skiddish and will bounce off the tank walls when someone approaches, even though they have young. This is very atypical of cichlids all together, and these guys have spawned before with other mates. I am so very frustrated with this whole EBJD breeding project. I've been at it almost two years now, losing my original sire to a freak tumor, being unsuccessful growing out new males, having the blue gene carriers be horrible parents, and a host of other issues. I feel like giving up on them and breeding something else that is not so disheartening.

What should I do?

lkelly

Members
Well I doubt it is going to matter. I was slowly losing some fry each day, which happens and I know this from other groups of Jacks I have bred. However, this morning, looking in the tank it appears that I only have about 10 left out of a group of what I assume was about 150! I have no idea what is going on, but I suspect these guys are not very good parents. They are EXTREMELY skiddish and will bounce off the tank walls when someone approaches, even though they have young. This is very atypical of cichlids all together, and these guys have spawned before with other mates. I am so very frustrated with this whole EBJD breeding project. I've been at it almost two years now, losing my original sire to a freak tumor, being unsuccessful growing out new males, having the blue gene carriers be horrible parents, and a host of other issues. I feel like giving up on them and breeding something else that is not so disheartening.

What should I do?

Spend a day trying to work from home with my kids bouncing off the walls during Spring Break and come to the realization that an all male display tank may not be such a bad idea.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Ikelly,

Nah, I'm too much of a breeder for that. I've had beautiful display tanks and quit that after a month. I need a project. But this one has just got me down. I need a win. Anyone want any cichlids bred? I'm very good at getting spawns and would be happy to breed something specifically for you as long as it is within reason and the fry are something that people on this site would buy from me readily. I am willing to sacrifice a 75 gallon tank to breed some rare africans or something. I rather like dealing with DRAF, so if he has something you want, but don't want to buy fish sight unseen, I'll buy them, breed them, and then sell you your pick of the fry. Any takers?

MDB,

I don't have anything to feed them, and I have never let them fend for themselves after 5-6 days of being hatched. That seems too early. Anyone else have a thought on this? Is a week too soon to pull the parents?

Put the male and half the fry in a breeder net Bex and other half the fry with the female and see who's chomping the fry. Then u know witch one to keep the fry with

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I usually pull fry when they are wigglers and have had very good success raising large batches of fry. The bigger the tank you move them to the better, as there will be some losses of weaker fry if they are in too small a container. I feed golden pearls (you can get them from YourFishStuff).

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I would pull the parents, not the fry, so that the fry would be in the larger tank (75 gallon). I worry about the filter intakes, as I run HOB's. I have no problem getting them to the free swimming stage. I seem to have trouble once they get there. Thats when I start losing them. I believe it is the male that is eating them. I also can't do breeder boxes/nets, because the adults are so scared of movement that they would tip/jump/kill to get away from you. They almost jump the tank when people walk by. It's a wonder they don't hurt themselves more.

So you guys think I should give these parents another shot and have them spawn one more time before I give up?

Pull they parents when the fry just start to become free swimming?

Sounds like the advice you are giving me at this point. I would so much rather do mouth brooders! lol

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Just once daily, huh? I may have to give this thing one more spawn. It's such a downer to lose all of those fry.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
That's what I do. Maybe more feeding would yield more fry, but honestly, with most New World species, what are you going to do with 100 or more fry? I'm happy to grow out what survives, which is usually around 30 fry depending on the species.

lkelly

Members
That's what I do. Maybe more feeding would yield more fry, but honestly, with most New World species, what are you going to do with 100 or more fry? I'm happy to grow out what survives, which is usually around 30 fry depending on the species.

Well, duh. Like get 5 more tanks to handle them! That's how this hobby is supposed to work.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I need almost all of them to survive, since I am playing the % game with two blue gene carriers. Only about 25% of the fry will be EBJD's at best.