• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Betta antoni

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I have a male/female pair of Betta antoni and I have to say they are easily my favorite fish. They were really shy at first but now they will eat from my hand. They also pick at my hand when I'm doing anything in their tank but aren't big fans of my camera.

A tight lid with zero gaps is a must for these fish as they are major jumpers. Their only tank mates are a couple of young L279s and an explosion of MTS I just noticed.

I'm hoping that they'll spawn for me eventually.

This is the best photo I could get of either of them. This is my male. uploadfromtaptalk1411359998878.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1411359998878.jpg

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I once had a pair of sparkling gouramis. I was so proud when they spawned--until I saw the male basically turn around and eat the eggs as soon as the female stuck them in the cave.

So, they very well might be spawning.

Blaise

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Betta antoni are paternal mouthbrooders so I should see the male holding if they are spawning. He never has and I've never seen spawning behavior.

To be fair they were in a tank with other fish until last week when I was able to get my new rack in and set up additional tanks. Hopefully, they'll start spawning now that they are on their own.

Last edited:

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Holy cow! So I think he may be holding eggs as of this morning! I just happened to look in as he faced me and I'm pretty sure I see little yellow eggs in his mouth.

I guess feeding them frozen bloodworms/mysis shrimp over the past couple of days and a tank of their own may have done the trick?

JLW

CCA Members
I was going to say ... they were spawning when you bought them from me. :)

Be careful feeding the male while he's holding. . . . it's not uncommon for him to reason out that he can always make more babies, but food is FOOD.

Also, be careful with keeping the female in there. If he spits out the eggs or eats them, there's a female ready to spawn... and ... well. . . . spawning is a whole lot more fun than carrying eggs around in your mouth.