• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with fish disease

daninmd

Members
My male OB Peacock has an issue. his one eye has a white covering and has swelled up pretty large. thought i was pop eye, and have been treating him in a QT tank the past 10 days with both melafix and pimafix. his eye has not gotten better and over the past two days has become more enlarged. please help with suggestions on treatment. this is my wife's favorite fish so i gotta save him.

cca-2.jpg

cca-3.jpg

IMO I would not even count those as meds rather snake oil (so let the flames start). Try furan 2, I sometimes use erythromycin mixed in as a cocktail.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Flame out

IMO I would not even count those as meds rather snake oil (so let the flames start). Try furan 2, I sometimes use erythromycin mixed in as a cocktail.

No incendiaries required - comments as ignorant as the above are synonymous with self-immolation.

Melaleuca and Pimenta oils are not a panacea for all ills, and you are of course free to dismiss empiric evidence (like creationists and climate change denialists), and but they did succeed in curing everything I encountered in 3+ years of keeping 40+ tanks.

IME/O properly maintained tanks rarely if ever reach the point where the inhabitants require antibiotic treatments, and unless one knows quite a bit about pathology, treatment is more or less a crapshoot as the broad spectrum "cocktail" approach to treatment attests...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not fungal or your treatment would almost certainly have fixed it...

...(assuming your dosing correctly) so it's likely bacterial, more so as it doesn't look at all like fungus. Something like Doug's recommended nuclear option is probably your best bet. You could always do a web-search to look for other comparable cases/successful treatments

Last edited:
problem with bacteria is you need to hit it with the right medicine and there is not "use this and be cured" one. I usually use a cocktail and for a fish that I really want to live mix erythromycin/kanamycin/furan2 together and use at full strength. Unfortunately kana is rather pricey and the only place I see it in a fish store in Urbana.

If it has not worked in a week, time to change the drug. Usually this starts clearing up by now not getting worse.

harlowe777

Members
Its called popeye..every day water changes..and melafix..you can get it at petco..it takes just a couple days to go away..

daninmd

Members
problem with bacteria is you need to hit it with the right medicine and there is not "use this and be cured" one. I usually use a cocktail and for a fish that I really want to live mix erythromycin/kanamycin/furan2 together and use at full strength. Unfortunately kana is rather pricey and the only place I see it in a fish store in Urbana.

If it has not worked in a week, time to change the drug. Usually this starts clearing up by now not getting worse.

well I used Furan 2 for about 7 days with no improvement (got worse). did a 100% water change and am now treating withErythromycin . I also bought tetracyclin but haven't started that. is that worth a shot too?

daninmd

Members
so I tried a bunch of treatments and nothing worked unfortunately. I cleaned the water and added some salt, going to see what happens. I have read that sometime they will lose the eye and be fine. guess we will see