• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond Snails Eat Fish Eggs?

AquaStudent

Members
I'm currently trying to breed some apistogramma. I've moved them to their own 10g tank. They spawned twice in the main tank but I haven't seen any fry in their new set-up.

There are some pond snails in the new tank. Could they be eating the eggs before they can develop?

I moved the apistos to the 10g because I have less control on raising the fry in the community tank. I was expecting to have a bit more luck than this.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've had the same suspicion in some of my tanks. I find very large, happy pond snails in the spawning caves at times and wondered if that was happening.

AquaStudent

Members
I've never actually seen the snails do it though so I'm not sure what to believe. Has anyone caught them in the act?

JasonC

Members
I've seen pond snails in my caves also... question is whether they are eating viable eggs, or the rotten ones?

AquaStudent

Members
Exactly Jason...whenever I question them they won't give me a straight answer. I don't want to have to resort to more extreme techniques...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I squashed a couple and the rest quickly confessed.

LMAO.

@Chris - Often wondered about your snails. You're such a big proponent of those apple snails... and they reward you like this? :wacko:

chriscoli

Administrator
@Chris - Often wondered about your snails. You're such a big proponent of those apple snails... and they reward you like this? :wacko:

It's not the apple snails that concern me.....I'll find pond or ramshorn snails in the spawning caves.....I'm sure the MTS are there too.

Apple snails seem to behave themselves...and the big ones don't fit into the spawning caves anyhow....

ddavila06

Members
i had pond snails make aspidora eggs disappear... but not likely to be them who are making the apisto eggs diasppear :(

AquaStudent

Members
Well I now know that my apistos have been spawning in their current setup. I caught them acting rather affectionate and I found a nice little batch of eggs in a small "cave" right up in front. This is great because I can keep a close watch on the eggs to see if the snails are the culprits.

I did notice an similar cluster of eggs a few weeks ago but which disappeared a few days later (with no signs of fry).

The other possibility is I am not looking at apisto eggs but actually snail eggs. I'm going to try and get a video uploaded to my youtube channel and post a link here so you guys can take a look at what see.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm glad I'll now be able to test to see if the snails are the devils!

JasonC

Members
The egg clutch that you show at 3:30 is a pond snail egg clutch. Someone is breeding in your tank, but unfortunately, its not the apistos. Apisto eggs are larger, more ovoid in shape, are a light pink/salmon color, and do not have the jelly-like casing that the eggs you were asking about have. A quick google search found this image to compare against: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gk_XBCGrA...pey9P4/s400/Apistogramma+cacatuoides+eggs.jpg

Hope this helps! Personally, with all the detritus you have in that tank, I don't think the snails will go after the apisto eggs... but, if they are not the focus of the tank, I would maybe start thinking about crushing them as you see them to keep their population in check so it doesn't get to that point. I use a pair of heavy duty forceps and my fish love snacking on the resulting mess ;P

Good luck on getting these guys to breed! They are a pretty strain!

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks Jason. After observing the eggs for awhile I do agree that they are a snail clutch. I think I see itty-bitty snails crawling around.

I should have done a google search. Ugh! Thanks much!