• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How to ship fish?? (CA to VA)

dlfn1

Members
Hi Everyone,
I'm moving back to va from ca in may and I'd like to bring my fish with me (7 ruby red peacocks ~3-6 inches and 2 labs ~4-5 inches).
How do I do this?
I've heard the talks about shipping fish back from africa and south america, but that was some time ago.
Can I go through the regular mail, do I ship from the airport?
I know I need to bag each fish separately. What thickness bag? double bag? air to h20 ratio? don't feed for how many days prior? and anything else you can think of.
If this has already been discussed, point me in the direction of the thread. I did a search with out much luck. :)
I have someone on that end that is going to house them for me till I can get my tank up and running.
Looking forward to being back in person with CCA!! :wub:
--dawn

verbal

CCA Members
Do you know someone in CA who can ship via airlines? It isn't cheap, but it is the quickest route. The person in VA would have to pick up at the airport. Bagging wouldn't be to different from bagging for an auction. Double bagging with 2 mil bags seems to be the best. If you want to be extra safe 3 mill bags are good. The standard 1/3 water is good. I would fast for 2 days with adult fish.

Express mail may be a little more economical. If you go that route, you could try shipping the smaller fish first.

dogofwar

CCA Members
When we moved from CA to this area, I shipped a couple of boxes of fish (styros in cardboard boxes) as checked bags. When I arrived, I set up the fish in rubbermaids until the fishroom was set-up...

You can also put styros in your check bags. Prepare just like regular shipping (fast the fish, bag with oxygen, don't bag too tight, etc.).

Matt

spazmattik

Members
When we moved from CA to this area, I shipped a couple of boxes of fish (styros in cardboard boxes) as checked bags. When I arrived, I set up the fish in rubbermaids until the fishroom was set-up...

You can also put styros in your check bags. Prepare just like regular shipping (fast the fish, bag with oxygen, don't bag too tight, etc.).

Matt

Just curious Matt, did you send over wet bio media as well or just start everything from scratch? Bottles of bacteria?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I packed a few sponge filters, an air pump, gang valves and some airline for the rubbermaids.

Matt

lkelly

Members
Considering you could replace (physically, not emotionally) the fish you listed for less than it would probably cost to ship them safely, you might want to consider finding them new West Coast homes and starting over in VA.

dlfn1

Members
I contacted the airline, apparently you can not put live anything as checked baggage with virgin america. :-(
I did consider starting over in va, it's just the peacocks _finally_ started to color up. It's been at least 3 years. I am leaving behind some smaller fish (neons, petricolas, rasboras).
Thanks for everyone's suggestions/help.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I bet that if you coordinated with Josh (Batfish) that he'd receive shipment of your fish and house them for you for a small fee until you arrive and are ready for him.

Not speaking for him but it's worth exploring.

Otherwise, I'd just put the fish in your checked luggage (triple-bagged of course) and roll with it.

Matt

Tangcollector

Staff member
I bet that if you coordinated with Josh (Batfish) that he'd receive shipment of your fish and house them for you for a small fee until you arrive and are ready for him.

Not speaking for him but it's worth exploring.

Otherwise, I'd just put the fish in your checked luggage (triple-bagged of course) and roll with it.

Matt

You are not allowed more than 3.5 ounces in any one container.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think you're thinking about carry-on - vs. checked - bags (3.4 oz rule).

Actually, live fish are expressly PERMITTED as carry on by TSA (and don't follow the 3.4 oz rule). Per the TSA website (Enter "live fish" in the "When I fly, can I bring my...?" tab on the home screen of www.tsa.gov) and you'll get:

Live fish must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. In this case, the container may be larger than 3.4 ounces. A Transportation Security Officer will visually inspect your live fish at the checkpoint.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

I've been flying to Portland quite frequently for work and will test this out with a fish that I bring back from The Wet Spot next time I get a chance.

Lot's of fish get shipped in checked luggage (as do lots of liquid things). If it's not leaking, hazardous or over 50 lbs, no one's going to care, chances are.

Matt