• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lost my first fish

bbryan9455

Members
I'm new at the hobby. I've had my 55 gallon for about two months now. Today I came home from work to find my albino peacock stuck on the filter intake. The other fish had bit an eye out. He was still alive but didn't last long. I didn't know how attach you can become to your fish. Don't know if anyone on here can relate but I actually teared up when I flushed him down the toilet:(

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sorry to hear. We all are attached, and cope differently. I just didn't go into the fish room after I had a mass die if for fear I would find another dead fish...had my wife take care of the tanks for a week

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Howie

Members
Unfortunately it happens. At least your other fish are doing well so it sounds like you're doing a great job.

DBLN8

Members
Its especially hard when you just start keeping fish, try not to get to bummed out and keep looking after the remaining stock.

sucks, but it happens.
i just lost a characin over this past weekend (left his tankmates pop-eyed) pretty much because i had skipped a cleaning.
sometimes you lose a fish through no fault of your own, but that one was on me.
sounds like you were just unlucky. don't beat yourself up over it. it's bound to happen.

Yes, it always sucks. Just make sure he's dead before you flush. I euthanize my fish rather than watch them suffer. I use clove oil in a small container and then put it in the freezer after the fish has gone belly up just to make sure.

Also, keep an eye on your tank. If aggression is an issue, you'll going to see tattered fins, missing scales and possibly missing eyes. If you see that, you have to figure out who is disrupting the tank and remove him.

bbryan9455

Members
Yeah he was definitely dead. I thought of putting him out but thought maybe he would make it. 3 hours later he was belly up.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App