• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mystery Fish

Howie

Members
I want to add one more fish to my mbuna tank and came across this one FS on CL.

Can someone please identify? Would it be a good idea to add this 5" guy with a cobalt zebra, red zebra, blue acei, yellow lab that all are 5" males? I have them all in a 36 bow fr with alot of lacerock.

I haven't bought it yet, and wanted to wait to get some advice to avoid any problems. The owner did say it is aggessive, as mbunas tend to be.

Thanks.

Mystery 4.jpg

Mystery 5.jpg

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Really could be anything. My first thought was a Ps. elongatus of some kind or another but the nose looks vaguely Labeotropheus. Best to assume it's a hybrid. Maybe it will fit into your existing stocking or maybe it will be a psycho. Who knows (although make sure you quarantine it first before dropping it in).

I digress, but it's so much better to get fish from quality sources / known provenance like Dave's. There are just so many random, mislabeled fish, especially African cichlids, floating around...

Matt

Howie

Members
Really could be anything. My first thought was a Ps. elongatus of some kind or another but the nose looks vaguely Labeotropheus. Best to assume it's a hybrid. Maybe it will fit into your existing stocking or maybe it will be a psycho. Who knows (although make sure you quarantine it first before dropping it in).

I digress, but it's so much better to get fish from quality sources / known provenance like Dave's. There are just so many random, mislabeled fish, especially African cichlids, floating around...

Matt

Thanks, Matt. I guess sometimes it's best not to upset the status quo and not risk adding a psycho fish to the mix. You never know--that's what makes it interesting. LOL