• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New LED fixtures on the market

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Yesterday when I was at HOT, I saw that Deep Blue now has an LED fixture called "SolarFlare". It seems a little pricey at first but it runs 3 watt LEDs. According to Deep Blue, it has only been on the market for six months.

Today at Petsmart I saw that Aqueon also has an LED fixture. The fixture comes with one row of LEDs but can accomodate up to three rows. The pricing seemed reasonable for both the fixture and individual row of LEDs. The price for the fixture and two additional rows seemed about right for the current market price. Again, little information was available on the package and I have not found an online vendor selling these or a site (including Aqueon's) with detailed information.

I am currently using an LED fixture from aquatraders that is not bright enough on my 125, but seems to be a good value for the $. I am also using three sets of LED strips from Ikea on my 8ft 135g. Again, they are not very bright but they are good enough for the cost.

Are any of you using LED fixtures on your tanks?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I have a Marineland LED fixture on a 29 gallon tank. (Won the tank and light at ACA almost a year ago.) Only suitable for low light plants, like Anubias, but is otherwise a very nice fixture.

Would love to see the LED prices drop some more.

Hawkman2000

Members
My boss and I just hung a pair of Radions at Pristine Aquarium. We had to add a steel grid above the drop ceiling over their invertebrate tank so the cables would hang properly. They run about 900 a piece, but they are incredible. 6 or 7 independently adjustable kelvin groups. Dimming and thunderstorm mode. We suggested that they hang a shelf from the ceiling for the drivers. Stopped by their today and they were half way done. We will probably be going back to add a set of outlets in the ceiling front the drivers so they won't have to hang an extension cord down. I'll take a pic and post later.

Those lights really are something else.

T

tug

I do not have LED fixtures. I am still trying to make up my mind between using an LED fixture or an ATI sunpower. Here is some of the information I've found while I save up for the purchase.

Ecoxotic Stunner LED Strips are good for about 15 par on a std 30 long tank. (single strip 6 inches above tank) Crypts and some swords should grow with that.

Truelumen Pro LED Strips are more powerful. People seem to really like the quality of the 8,000K light. They provide about 30 par to the substrate on an 18" high tank at tank height - that whould grow just about anything. A 210 gal. tank seems to need about 5 strips for the right amount of spread.

I also found this;
CurrentUSA True Lumen Pro 36"
Length: 36.25"
Actual Power Draw: 22w
PAR Rating at 10": 60

ReefBrite Blue 36"
Length: 35.25
Actual Power Draw: 35w
PAR Rating at 10": 113

Vertex Illumilux Blue 36"
Length: 37.5" (module only) / 38.5" (with power supply connector installed)
Actual Power Draw: 55w
PAR Rating at 10": 130

Nathan

Members
I have not seen any remotely affordable commercially available led lights that use good diodes. Your better off making your own still

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My boss and I just hung a pair of Radions at Pristine Aquarium. We had to add a steel grid above the drop ceiling over their invertebrate tank so the cables would hang properly. They run about 900 a piece, but they are incredible. 6 or 7 independently adjustable kelvin groups. Dimming and thunderstorm mode. We suggested that they hang a shelf from the ceiling for the drivers. Stopped by their today and they were half way done. We will probably be going back to add a set of outlets in the ceiling front the drivers so they won't have to hang an extension cord down. I'll take a pic and post later.

Those lights really are something else.

My friend does custom installs and loves the radion. He says the thunderstorm and cloud simulations are amazing. He said you download programs to the fixture. He can get them for a little over $700.

Sent from my DROIDX

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have not seen any remotely affordable commercially available led lights that use good diodes. Your better off making your own still

I wish I understood how an felt confident enough in my ability to try. I hear cree are the way to go. But I do like the 8k trulumen and of course the radion.

Sent from my DROIDX

Kenny

Members
led foresent bulbs

Yesterday when I was at HOT, I saw that Deep Blue now has an LED fixture called "SolarFlare". It seems a little pricey at first but it runs 3 watt LEDs. According to Deep Blue, it has only been on the market for six months.

Today at Petsmart I saw that Aqueon also has an LED fixture. The fixture comes with one row of LEDs but can accomodate up to three rows. The pricing seemed reasonable for both the fixture and individual row of LEDs. The price for the fixture and two additional rows seemed about right for the current market price. Again, little information was available on the package and I have not found an online vendor selling these or a site (including Aqueon's) with detailed information.

I am currently using an LED fixture from aquatraders that is not bright enough on my 125, but seems to be a good value for the $. I am also using three sets of LED strips from Ikea on my 8ft 135g. Again, they are not very bright but they are good enough for the cost.

Are any of you using LED fixtures on your tanks?
Led foresent bulbs are really nice and bright. there almost too bright that's why i like them. plus the cost next to nothing to run. all you have to do is convert ur light fixture which is very easy to do. youtube it. bulbs range from 30 to 60 dollars.

Nathan

Members
If I can do it, anybody can. I had to look on youtube to learn how to solder. It was much easier to build than it looks.

bschuhart

Members
I have 2 -36" Marineland Reef ready strips on a 150 (6ft) they are really nice and bright. Got them for free. The price is too steep for me to purchase them for other tanks, but I really like them. when the price comes down on LED's this will be the way to go.

ezrk

Members
We have a marineland doublebright on a 20g long shelly tank, no plants but it looks very nice.

Long term we aer considering looking into LEDs for our 2 4 foot 110gs, but still think they are too pricey now. Very interesting stuff and I expect in the next couple of years this will really be the way to go.

Hawkman2000

Members
My friend does custom installs and loves the radion. He says the thunderstorm and cloud simulations are amazing. He said you download programs to the fixture. He can get them for a little over $700.

Sent from my DROIDX

I saw the usb port on the side of them. Manager said that they have apps so you can program them from smartphones. Bluetooth would be a nice addition.

The cost benefit of LEDs isn't just the powers consumption and the improvement in appearance (simmer, clarity). LEDs create less heat than fluorescents. Especially if you use metal hilides. The ones we just installed at pristine will probably pay themselves off in energy saving within the year.

Hawkman2000

Members
BTW, I notice that the LED PAR 38 bubls at HomeDepot have CREE LEDs in them. Would be good to know witch ones. At 30 or so bucks a piece, one could make a great home made light.

chriscoli

Administrator
I was just looking at the TrueLumen site for more information...I'd like to get a small, 12" LED light for a planted tank and saw these in a store the other day. I figured I'd better to some research, though. It looks like I might need two of the 12" strips for a small but deep, planted column tank. http://www.current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/truelumen-pro-led-striplights

I'm definitely interested in learning how to do some LED DIY....If anyone else is interested in doing a DIY get-together to put something like this together please let me know. I've only just started doing my homework on it, so I really don't know what I'm doing yet...but I'm very game to try.

It seems like the LEDs required for planted tanks need a bit more know-how since they run a bit hotter from what I'm reading.

monfrey29

Members
I don't know if they will last long, but I used two pack blue LED light strips. They were about 10 inches long and run on 12v of power. I an using them for moonlighting at the moment. They pretty bright, as are the white light. the pics that show dim blue lights are 10inch marine land bubble wand LED. The bright blue lights are the auto LED accent light I installed. Just an idea to play around with if you are not looking for plant lighting.

Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1343061035771.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1343061047725.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1343061090919.jpg

monfrey29

Members
I bought them at Walmart for $18
I already had the 12v AC adapter, but you can purchase one at Walmart as well.

Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'm interested

I was just looking at the TrueLumen site for more information...I'd like to get a small, 12" LED light for a planted tank and saw these in a store the other day. I figured I'd better to some research, though. It looks like I might need two of the 12" strips for a small but deep, planted column tank. http://www.current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/truelumen-pro-led-striplights

I'm definitely interested in learning how to do some LED DIY....If anyone else is interested in doing a DIY get-together to put something like this together please let me know. I've only just started doing my homework on it, so I really don't know what I'm doing yet...but I'm very game to try.

It seems like the LEDs required for planted tanks need a bit more know-how since they run a bit hotter from what I'm reading.

I'm interested, but I'm a complete novice, so don't count on learning anything from me!