• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Funny Craigslist "Deals"

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just to give an idea of what this stuff sells for retail, here's some perspective.

At the ACA convention this summer, there will be a bunch of set-ups for silent auction. They list retail prices in the descriptions. And those are the prices that most of the folks who buy tanks and sell them on Craigslist pay. Not that I would pay that but that's what most people pay.

That there are so many terribly set-up tanks and so many failed fishkeepers depresses me and speaks to the fact that we as a hobby organization aren't reaching so many people who could greatly benefit from getting involved with the club.

That folks who have shelled out so much to try to keep fish...and failed...and then won't likely be able to recoup 1/10th of what they put in will only ensure that they have negative opinions about our hobby (and that they won't encourage their kids, friends, neighbors, etc. to keep fish...because it's expensive and difficult).

Matt

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ACAConvention/

Display tank setup #8 60 gallon Cube
This frameless tank measures 24" x 24" x 24". It includes a glass canopy, a Ventura red oak stand, Marineland LED lighting, Marineland C360 canister filter and a 200W heater.
Retail price = $1053.94

Display tank setup #7 - 44 gallon Pentagon
This corner tank measures 22"X22"X24". It comes with a Pentagon Hood, black Majesty stand, Marineland C220 Canister Filter, Marineland Precision 200W Heater and a 20” Place-A-Light.

Retail value = $871.94

Display tank setup #6 46 gallon Euro
This curved front aquarium measures 36" X 16" X 20". It has tempered glass, a black frame, hinged glass canopy, Emperor 280 BD filter, Marineland 200W heater, Marineland LED Light, and sits on a black Euro stand.
Retail price - $818.94

Display tank setup #5 40 gallon high
This tank measures 36" X 12" and is 21" high. It has a black frame with tempered glass. It includes a hinged glass canopy with Marineland LED lighting, an Emperor 280 Filter, and a 300 watt heater. It also comes with a black Majesty stand.
Retail price = $675.94

Display tank setup #4 - 27 gallon Cube
This Marineland tank measures 20" X 20", and is 18" high. The set includes a glass canopy and a double bright LED lighting system that features a 3 mode on/off switch. Also included is a heater, BIO-wheel filtration system and a matching Newport stand with interior storage, cabinet door, and a modern black finish.
Retail price = $512.97

Display tank setup #2 - 37 gallon Marineland Deluxe kit
This kit is very similar to the 29 gallon. Same 30" by 12" wooden Majesty stand, blue and white LED lights, 200W submersible heater, BIO wheel filtration, net, thermometer, water conditioner and Tetra food. The big difference here is the extra height of the tank. This one is 24" high.
Retail price = $424.98

Display tank setup #3 - 28 gallon Euro
This kit features a curved front tank that measures 24" X 15" X 18". It contains a Penguin 150 Bio-Wheel Power Filter, Marineland 200W heater, and a 15 watt fluorescent light. The kit also includes an adhesive thermometer, AquaSafe water conditioner, and TetraMin flake food. It sits on a black Heartland Stand.
Retail value = $427.97

Display tank setup #1 - 29 gallon Marineland Kit
This kit contains everything you need. Includes hood with LED energy efficient lighting (42 white + 3 blue), submersible heater, and Penguin 200 BIO-Wheel 3-stage filtration. This all sits on a black Majesty wooden stand. The tank footprint is 30" X 12" and measures 18" high. Heck they even throw in a thermometer, fish net, some Aquasafe water conditioner and a sample of Tetramin fish food. Because the tank will already be cycled and supporting fish during the convention, you'll be all set to add your own fish when you get it home.

Total retail price = $379.98

lkelly

Members
Sweet Jebus!! nice stocking in that tank! LOL... and they will only sell the fish to an "experienced cichlid keeper". Guess they are looking for a better home than they can provide??!?

It's in Gaithersburg. Maybe they could enter it into the Aquamania "Aquarium Disaster" competition.

lkelly

Members
And then we have this one, a 22" pleco that has "outgrown its 35 gallon hexagonal tank". I guess. Hope someone rescues this poor fish.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/4861761734.html

"This fish is not for sale for consumption."

00t0t_kwPNaQcRDmc_600x450.jpg

In case that picture made you hungry.

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Maybe I'm nuts but that fish isn't 22" I feel like my sense of perception is off...did they mean 12" bc that seems more likely but then 6-8yrs old......(scratches head)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Nope, it's tons of things wrong with that post.... I have eaten quite a few weird thing in my travels def not plecos. But I hear they make good eats.
Just like some of the Mbuna/rift lake area fish get eaten. People eat what's found locally

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd bet that African cichlids taste a lot like tilapia :)

Matt

Nope, it's tons of things wrong with that post.... I have eaten quite a few weird thing in my travels def not plecos. But I hear they make good eats.
Just like some of the Mbuna/rift lake area fish get eaten. People eat what's found locally