• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ailment of Fish

zackcrack00

Members
I just went and bought four Panda Platies from Petco (I know, I know) a few days ago and a few hours after adding them to my 29 gallon, one of the females was hanging near the top, actually touching the water level, but no clamped fins or other abnormal behavior. She seems fine and she is eating except for this. After loosing about 25 fish in a massive Mbuna die-off, I have been very weary ever since. TIA!

P.S.- This isn't swim bladder or constipation, I've had PLENTY of experiences with both.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Prob confused. Like "wow this is what awesome clean water feels like man ima check the top out maybe I can see where I am" lol. It's probably uncomfortable. Dim the lights let him settle make it as calm and confortable for him. give it a few more days then be worried wish I could help more.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I'd guess she is not going to make it. Nothing to do but keep her from getting attacked, and see if time helps. (and very clean water)

What caused your mbuna die off?

zackcrack00

Members
It was a bacterial infection cultivated in their stomach. I cured it by adding some kind of medicine Dave for Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish recommended, and it cleared up in a few short days. the fish would get bloated and constipated, then die. It took about two weeks to kill 90% of my Mbuna. I will keep the lights off, thank you Will.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I've seen people soak food in Epsom salt or garlic to help with stomach issues and parasites.
And thawed peas for constipation. Maybe combining those. If anything in the future.

Zack -- Sorry about that. I doesn't sound like the infection was "cured." it sounds like it was unsuccessfully treated. It also sounds very unusual. If you were working with Dave, I'm sure you got good advice. It's hard to watch fish die, though. :(

zackcrack00

Members
It's hard to watch fish die, though. :(

This is so very true. :(

UPDATE: I forgot to mention in the first post that I got a first pair a few days ago, this one containing the ailing female, and the second pair yesterday, and then I typed up the thread. That info. would have helped you all I guess. But now she is hanging out with the teeny male panda platy I put in yesterday. Could they be friends, do fish do that? I know bettas can get depressed when tankmates die... What about simpler fish like livebearers???

Rasta Fish

Members
maybe stressed, livebearers fish after giving birth get very stressed in aquariums
especially when the male is there to harass her

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So signs of fight or flight...?
Found this really cool fish depression

August 05, 2013
Chronic stress can lead to depression and anxiety in humans. Scientists working with Herwig Baier, Director at the Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology in Martinsried, recently discovered a very similar link in fish. Normally, the stress hormone cortisol helps fish, as in humans, to regulate stress. Fish that lack the receptor for cortisol as a result of a genetic mutation exhibited a consistently high level of stress. They were unable to adapt to a new and unfamiliar situation. The fishes’ behaviour returned to normal when an antidepressant was added to the water. These findings demonstrate a direct causal link between chronic stress and behavioural changes which resemble depression. The findings could also open the door to an effective search for new drugs to treat psychiatric disorders.

http://www.mpg.de/7491503/fish-depression