• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: Adult Protomelas sp.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've had these guys for about two years now. I got them at TFW as a Protomelas species... likely a steveni or fenstratus. They bred a few times, but wasn't particularly interested in keeping fry as I wasn't sure of their exact lineage.

I have two large (6"+) full-colored males as well as a definite juvenile male about 2"-2.5" that is coloring up in a grow out tank. Because I do not know exactly what they are (and maybe never will), I will be culling the adult females and selling the only males.

The males will only be sold to someone with a single male setup that will promise me that they will not be bred.

They are a Protomelas species - likely a steveni variant. There are so many locations and variants though that I don't feel comfortable trying to guess what they actually are. Shoot, they could be hybrids for all I know.

Anyway, they're still gorgeous, healthy fish that would make a nice addition to show tank. $15 each for the big boys and $10 for the little guy. Will deliver to meeting tomorrow.

Video from the other night:
[YT]ZcAMyDsqy8k[/YT]

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have one more available - about 5". Thought it was a female, but it's coloring up. $10 - Will bring to meeting.

Jay

CCA Members
Protomelas Fenstratus Tangerine Tiger

I've had these guys for about two years now. I got them at TFW as a Protomelas species... likely a steveni or fenstratus. They bred a few times, but wasn't particularly interested in keeping fry as I wasn't sure of their exact lineage.

I have two large (6"+) full-colored males as well as a definite juvenile male about 2"-2.5" that is coloring up in a grow out tank. Because I do not know exactly what they are (and maybe never will), I will be culling the adult females and selling the only males.

The males will only be sold to someone with a single male setup that will promise me that they will not be bred.

They are a Protomelas species - likely a steveni variant. There are so many locations and variants though that I don't feel comfortable trying to guess what they actually are. Shoot, they could be hybrids for all I know.

Anyway, they're still gorgeous, healthy fish that would make a nice addition to show tank. $15 each for the big boys and $10 for the little guy. Will deliver to meeting tomorrow.

Video from the other night:
[YT]ZcAMyDsqy8k[/YT]

These fish appear to be Protomelas Fenstratus Tangerine Tiger. I stock this fish regularly and they tend to be very popular. They are rare in the hobby and have not been collected from the lake for some time. I have one older smaller fish farmer in FL that stocks this fish. He may be the only commercial fish farmer to still have them. If you get any fry, I may be interested. When this farmer decides to retire, he is 62 or 63 now, it is no telling what will become of his stock and if this fish will be available any more.

Jay, Cichlids Are Special