• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cleaning used aquarium

Tangcollector

Staff member
I just did the same thing about a year ago with a 220 acrylic reef tank. It was a pain in the ___!! The one I did had been sitting half full for three years. It took me a long time. If you are dealing with hard salt the best way I found was to fill the tank with water and let it sit there for a couple of days that will help with the first layer of crust. Then start scraping. There may be chemicals you can use but I did not do that. Maybe some one else here has had luck doing that.

npbarca

Members
Bleach for 2 days, then rinse and dry and let it sit. This will kill anything bad, ad then you can go to town on scrubbing the salt.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If it is glass you can use razor blades (more than a couple probably) or try a Pumie Heavy duty Scouring stick (Lowes). If you have to use chemicals, a strong acid is better than vinegar, but you have to know how to handle the strong acids since they can burn you and your clothes. Vinegar works over days or weeks.

chriscoli

Administrator
I'd only bleach it if you think there's been disease in the tank. You're less likely to cross-infect between saltwater and freshwater tanks since their diseases and parasites tend to be optimized for one environment over the other.

Bleach adds a step with a lot of extra clean up and won't do anything extra to help get rid of the salts.

Also, if you do want to do a bleach step, clean up the tank as much as you can FIRST then bleach after it's been scrubbed. If there's a lot of buildup on there, it'll make disinfecting those areas less effective.

jmessineo1

Members
I've decided to not use the bleach, I have decided either Muriatic Acid or Vinegar. Has any used the acid? If so how much to add and how does the silicone react? Also it is a glass aquarium so I plan to go at it with the razor. Tonight the plan is to fill up with water, place the two heaters in there and let it soak for a day or two and thn scrub and tackle the vinegar or acid.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The Muriatic acid will react with metal and create hydrogen, so do not use the two together.
Use the razor blades first and get rid of as much of the deposits as possible. Then put on old clothes and rubber gloves and use a plastic sponge to apply small amounts of Muriatic acid to the deposits. Use a piece of wood like a 1 by 2 to scrape the deposits if you think it need it. The fumes of the Muriatic acid are something you do not want to breath much of, so work with good ventilation. And do not get puddles of acid in the tank or rather if you do remember if you add water to acid it gets very hot and can splatter. You are suppose to add acid to water to prevent the heating problem. If you want to try something less aggressive, add a couple ounces of Muriatic acid to a quart or two of water. Much less concentrated and less corrosive to you and your clothes. Wear eye protection, goggles are best.

chriscoli

Administrator
As Frank said, and I can't reiterate enough....

ALWAYS add acid to water, NOT water to acid.

(Chemistry is fun)

jmessineo1

Members
Thanks for all the info, When I was in college I worked at a Pool Supply store, and did weekly pool service on the side, so I'm fairly comfortable with the acid since that is what I used to lower ph, I think I will try to add a diluted acid mixture to a sprat bottle and try that first. The tank is not in awful shape there is just some scratches on the back of the tank with what looks like diatoms stuck in there, also there is sand and diatoms on the silicone, any idea how to clean silicone? Also I hope document the whole build from cleaning aquarium to building stand and canopy and setting up 3D background, I'll post the results as they happen. Also thank you guys so much for your help I am definitely going to join the club and plan to start attending meetings. you guys have been so helpful!

lkelly

Members
If you are being held at gun point by meth dealers in an RV and happen to be wearing a gas mask... feel free to alter your strategy and add the water to acid.

WaltKrazy8.png

Hawkman2000

Members
Fill a spray bottle with apple cider vinegar. spray it heavily and let it soak for about 15 minute. Then scrub it with the rough side of a sponge and water. Should come off easily.

I have done this many times and it works great.

BTW - ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) works great on plastic as well. Not only does it clean it, it rejuvenates the plastic and makes it look new.

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
If it is glass you can use razor blades (more than a couple probably) or try a Pumie Heavy duty Scouring stick (Lowes). If you have to use chemicals, a strong acid is better than vinegar, but you have to know how to handle the strong acids since they can burn you and your clothes. Vinegar works over days or weeks.

I agree with everyone but the razor blades are a must.

Gyarados

Members
A slow method that worked well with my recent big tank was to lay the tank with the side I wished to clean face down on the ground and let 1/4" of vinegar stand on it overnight. Only needed a few liters to clean a 210.