• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cleaning used aquarium

jmessineo1

Members
Will try that. Filled that tank up last night to let it soak, and was pleasantly suprise at how clean and easy most of the scum was able to come off. The previous owner had cleaned it half a** better I purchased the aquarium. But it really wasn't that bad. Going to try the vinegar in a bottle first, and if that doesn't work Ill try the laying on the side with vinegar over night. Are you using white vinegar or apple cider vinegar? Also any tips to clean the lids which seem to be the worst part. or are the same methods for the tank what you use for the lids?

daninmd

Members
only way I will ever clean out used tanks is muriatic acid. especially on saltwater. rub it on with a sponge, let it sit, and will come right off.

daninmd

Members
I've decided to not use the bleach, I have decided either Muriatic Acid or Vinegar. Has any used the acid? If so how much to add and how does the silicone react? Also it is a glass aquarium so I plan to go at it with the razor. Tonight the plan is to fill up with water, place the two heaters in there and let it soak for a day or two and thn scrub and tackle the vinegar or acid.

why would silicone react with muriatic acid? it wont, you are fine. I used it full strength along with a sponge thingy on a stick in a vented area. super quick and easy.

jmessineo1

Members
just scrub with water, and honesty the aquarium is all clean except there are some diatoms that appear to be stuck to the silicone any advice for attacking that?