• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Home made fish food.

Jefft

Members
I just made my first batch of homemade fish food. Sadly, I dont think the blender I use for my smoothies will ever be the same.

Jefft

Members
Hmm recipe.. LOl guess that would be good to include. Here is what I did..

Ingredients..
4 medium large shrimp steamed and frozen purchased in the bag at Giant.
6 cubes of the frozen shrimp you normally buy for your fish.
4 cubes of frozen blood worms.
6 cloves of fresh garlic peeled and chopped.
3 broccoli florets.
1 cup of fresh peas, lightly blanched for 5 minutes on high boil
1 handful of fresh green spinach also blanched for 1 1/2 minutes on high boil
1/2 fresh cucumber
1 fresh orange, squeeze the juice and add a little of the pulp not too much just a bit.

Directions.
Toss it all in the blender and mix for 30 seconds or so.. Dont want a total liquid. You want a bit of chunk in there. Take an old ice cube tray you want one with small cubes. Fill and level then freeze. IF you dont have ice cube trays you can use a ziploc bag pour your mix in seal and flatten then freeze. Once everything is frozen one cube will feed a whole tank of fish. If you used the ziploc method cut or break off a piece or two. Toss into the tank and watch what ensues.

I used the cube method as my fish are used to frozen cubes of shrimp or bloodworms. (I made it both ways cube and sheet.) The cubes melted slowly letting the particles fall into the tank the fish ate it up. They would hit the cube breaking off lots of particles and then swarm what particles would float down. Every fish in the tank ate heartily including the placos who cleaned up. One of the placos I have is a big fella but very shy only coming out when the lights in the tank are at night settings but the big fella was out feeding on particulants that fell to the bottom of the tank.

Downside was all the particles that floated around for a bit in the tank. However, 1 hour in all particles are gone and the fish feed at leisure off the bottom grazing. I will be feeding one cube at least once to twice a week in my tanks.
I will also be altering this mix to use only fresh raw shrimp.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Interesting idea. One question - why use cooked market shrimp? I would think that there would be more nutrition in uncooked shrimp and that the fishes digestive system would be more used to raw protein.

Jefft

Members
Yeah thats the winging it part. I had all the veggies and and this shrimp was in the freezer. I will be using raw shrimp in the future the logic behind it today was a lack of $$ to go buy any. LOL.. I just used what I had on hand today. I figured most of our fish foods purchased at market are no less than 10 % ash to 40% ash which is animal product bone that sort of thing burnt till its ash. Yeast fillers are used as well. Copper, magnesium sulfates, In the future I will be using raw fresh shrimp and squid (as I said) but for this first time around I thought I needed a bit more protein filler more than just the shrimp cubes and blood worms so I added these shrimp in. My assumption was with yeast, ash, copper, and other chemical additives added in all other foods steamed cooked shrimp to add in some protein certainly wouldnt hurt my fish anymore than the foods sold to us as "safe color enhancing" would.

Last edited:

Jefft

Members
Home made fish food

I've thought about doing this also
Did you wing it or did you go by a recipe
If so were did you find the recipe at?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I went to youtube to check out a video link posted for me by todda on stripping females of fry. There were several other videos on making your own food there. I followed their basic ideas and added a little variance of my own by incorporating ingredients from more than one video. You can find several videos on this link or by going to youtube and typing in african cichlids home made fish food.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...5.6.0.85.1837.31.31.0...0.0...1ac.wJBFXmv6cBA

Lots of videos from other clubs and private fish keepers to see here. Perth Australian Cichlid club has some great stuff on video. Also lots of tanks to see garnering ideas for tankscapes.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks for the writeup! I'm sure your fish are tearing it up. :)

Jefft

Members
Thanks for the write up??

Thanks for the writeup! I'm sure your fish are tearing it up. :)

Tony do you have a video out there you didnt tell me about?? LOL gimme the links to all your videos please if you dont mind.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Tony do you have a video out there you didnt tell me about?? LOL gimme the links to all your videos please if you dont mind.

I've been bad at taking videos lately... even worse at getting them posted up. I'll get back into it.

Thanks for checking them out. :happy0180: