• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Erie Canal Fish

chriscoli

Administrator
So I was staying at a B&B right on the Erie Canal last weekend. We went for a walk along it and I saw a bunch of fish (I know, shocking, right?).

Any idea what this one is?

fish3.jpg

fish2.jpg

fish1.jpg

Hicgup

Members
I'd say pumpikseed. Look at the red dot at the end of the "bluegill".
That plus the highly speckled body makes me say pumpkinseed.

chriscoli

Administrator
Cool, thanks! I had a fun time walking along the bank, shooing grasshoppers into the water and watching the fish eat them.

Sonny Disposition

Matt is definitely wrong. (Ask him about cichlids, but he can't be trusted on sunfish.) The top two photos are most probably Longear sunfish, Lepomis megalotis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longear_sunfish

The only other candidate is Green sunfish, Lepomis cyanellus, the green sunfish.

I'd say the bottom photo is a couple of bluegills, Lepomis machrochirus.

The key to telling sunfish species apart is to look at the opercular flap. It differs from species to species.

To complicate things, sunfish species will often hybridize with one another, particularly when fish and wild life types stock them where they shouldn't.

(They don't call me "Sonny" for nothing.)

I'm surprised to see the longears in New York. They were reputed to be in short supply in New York.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Guilty as charged.

I'm similarly in the dark on killifish, Top 40 music and TV shows involving vampires ;)

Matt

Hicgup

Members
Matt, I'll take your word on the vsmpire tv show thing, but I'm +1 with you on Pumpkinseed. Careful what you say though, one day somebody might post a picture of you netting killies from a ditch! LMAO

dogofwar

CCA Members
...or rocking out to "Ace of Bass"

Matt

Matt, I'll take your word on the vsmpire tv show thing, but I'm +1 with you on Pumpkinseed. Careful what you say though, one day somebody might post a picture of you netting killies from a ditch! LMAO

jonclark96

Past CCA President
What's wrong with Ace of Base (note that the Swedish pop band is -ase not -***)? They are the ABBA of the 90's!!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Other than sucking, they lodge themselves into my inner-cranium ("I saw the sign..") until they're dislodged, usually, by some kids show theme ("Doc McStuffin, Doc McStuffin...")...

Doesn't one of our members (Chip?) have an Ace of Base tattoo?

Matt

What's wrong with Ace of Base (note that the Swedish pop band is -ase not -***)? They are the ABBA of the 90's!!

JasonC

Members
("Doc McStuffin, Doc McStuffin...")...

ROFL!! My daughter (almost 3) LOVES that show and insists on singing "I feel better, so much better..." every time we "fix" one of her boo boos. glad I'm not the only one with that plaguing their brain :)