• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

diy acrylic tanks??

JasonC

Members
Anyone here welded acrylic before to make a tank? Is this a viable diy project, or not something for the fain of heart?

If its doable, are startup costs for any materials/equipment needed low enough to make it economically viable?

just curious...

1bigdovii

Members
Check out Uarujoey on youtube. He is the DIY king... He has a very good video of the entire process and infor on cost ect.... That should help you decide if its a project you want to try.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Just make sure you practice on something small before you go big. I'd want to make sure I was really good at it before I had a tank that dumped 100 gallons of water on the floor at a failed seam.

Owens

Members
Just make sure you practice on something small before you go big. I'd want to make sure I was really good at it before I had a tank that dumped 100 gallons of water on the floor at a failed seam.

+1, if your looking into a DIY acrylic tank, you most likely want to go bigger or different than a standard manufactured size. Acrylic can get pretty expensive depending on the thickness.

DIY fishkeepers is an amazing sight to look up ideas and what works/doesnt.

The "DIY" section on MFK is also a great resource.

verbal

CCA Members
You might check with Stith Aquatics on their prices, I think they could get you sheets. Or Home Depot has sheets that are 0.22".

Definitely agree with Jon on starting with a small prototype.

ezrk

Members
There is a big thread on reefcentral.com in either the diy or advanced topics section on acrylic.