• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

what brand do you prefer?

which brand(s) do you prefer

• aqueon

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • hikari

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • kens fish food

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • new life spectrum

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • omega one

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • ultracolor

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • nutrafin

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • homemade

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • tetra

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • wardley

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • yourfishstuff foods

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I use predominantly NLS, kens flake, and Big Fellas (the manufacturer escapes me bug they were an ACA sponsor). Any one find that NLS discolors their water?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
Great question

My discussion question is, why do you like what you like?

I have greedy fish who love all the food they've ever tasted. Can you really tell what your fish "like?". Only for more finicky species?

Do you look at what the food has, what it doesn't or both?

To what extent are cost and availability issues?

Just curious how others look at this.
Generally, I can't tell by the behavior of my fishes, except when switching to a new food seems to result in spawning. Of course, the spawning could be due to a variety of factors, so even that is questionable. (I got a free sample from the AlmostNaturalTropicalFishFood guy last year, and two of my species spawned shortly after I started feeding that sample. Was it due to the food? Don't know.)

I don't think it's enough to say your fish like the food and gobble it up. I'll gobble up cookies, given the chance, but I know they're not a good food. (The speaker last week made this point about Pelvicachromis, by the way.)

So I tend to focus on the ingredients. How much is fish? Is it fish meal or human consumption fish (if you can tell).

I don't worry a lot about the cost, because I feed fairly sparingly, or so I tell myself. (I have a friend who feeds her fish once a week, and they're all doing fine, by the way.)

chriscoli

Administrator
I think it depends on the fish...

My mbuna get their food based on ingredients and how the fish look over time. As anyone who keeps mbuna knows...they are beggers. They'll eat anything. I could feed them the "friskies" of fish food and they'd want more. I've noticed that a lot of food sold as "spirulina" or "veggie" still has fish meal as the 1st ingredient. I'm not sure where in the list it should be for mbuna, but I try to mix it with other green-type flakes that have it further down the list.

On the other hand, I have the new WC pair of calvus that I got at the ECC auction. They've been hiding (not unexpected) but I found that they go nuts for HBH's Super Soft Krill, which I recently got just to try. Soooo, since I'm pretty much ok with HBH as a decent brand...they get the krill because of how they are behaving. They've even started coming out of hiding before I feed them. Of course...if I offer anything other than the krill right now, I get a look of deep disappointment from them (yeah, yeah, i'm anthropomorphising, oh well).

I also think diversity is important. I don't feed my fish the same thing all the time. They may get flakes a few days in a row, then they'll get some NLS.

And, of course, I am VERY guilty of overfeeding them, so i'm working on some personal behavior modification in that area, too. Anton's talk was an excellent reminder.

Convict kid

Members
I prefer NLS because of it's quality ingredients and the fact that it's made in the good old US of A. But it seems that my fish prefer Hikari.

MIA

Members
Feathers!!!

I like NLS and Hakari frozen foods the best. I tried the repashy stuff and it's very good too. Did anyone who got fish from Florida Tropical Fish Direct try the free sample that came with their fish yet? I haven't used mine yet, but any Thoughts on that...
/QUOTE]

So... got fish from here as well and got the food. Did not read the packet at first since they recommend giving the fish the food they are familiar with and then weaning... cool sounds good and fish seem to like it fine.

However, when I read the ingredients :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: One of the main ingredients is:

Chicken Feathers!!! :( Haven't used it since