• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Couple pics of my unknown soldier

Some of you guys probably remember this guy. Still no closer to knowing what is but one observation I've made is that he is constantly quarreling with my spilotonous. They are very very similar in many ways. They both have the lateral dashes that turn to bars when angry as well as the same number and spacing of bars. Only obvious difference is the color of their blaze and the length of their caudal peduncle. Starting to believe he may have some spilotonous heritage possibly crossed with fryeri. Any other observations or opinions would be appreciated. This fish is very intriguing to me for some reason.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1396117433546.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396117453933.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396117466429.jpg

There is a reward for anyone who can correctly ID this fish assuming it is not a hybrid. Your answer will be scrutinized but assuming thos fish does have a proper genus and species you will receive your choice of 10 fish from my grow out tanks. Just putting it out there, happy searching.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sciaenochromis fryeri (Chiofu Bay)
&
Protomelas spilonotus (Mara Rocks)

Lol I think the Mara rock might not have all his color or is completely wrong but the only one I could think of with similar colors etc...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

The blue one is a copadichromis mloto..booyaaa!!..

Ding ding ding we have a winner!
The spilotonus in the front has a crooked jaw so his face shape looks funny from the side. As you can see the unknown fish keeps the spilotonus colors very dull through intimidation.

The one with the yellow is a spilotonous mara rocks. The one with the white blaze is the unknown fish. He has some similarities to fryeri, spilotonus, couple copadichromis species.........

At one point I was leaning towards a mloto of some sort but after months of looking at pics I moved on. Some pics of fire line mloto resemble it but then again others do not. Not enough to be positive atleast. If you can figure it out please let me know.

Mloto what? I think there's like 20+ different mloto species. Actually I believe any species classified under mloto is actually kind of like an L# for plecos. Its just a name given to it because it hasn't actually been classified scientifically.

harlowe777

Members
The "SP."..is acually what science gives to generalize fish.."unknown"..until proven exact points and breedings over time..

I believe all mloto started as sp. Some may be starting to get classified at this point but most are not. I will have to double check my sources right after I search mloto undu.