• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish tubes

Greengirl

Members
What a good idea. If they can make sure the fish aren't totally disoriented and susceptible to preditors on the way out, these tubes could really help the wild salmon population recover their breeding grounds. But what about the return trip?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Precisely.

I bet that he was able to secure federal funding for both projects (salmon and Internet tubes) for his state ;)

Matt

Of course, Alaska has a lot of salmon migration, so the Senator would have a keen interest in this topic, if he were alive today.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
So it begs the question of really big fish. California has lots of salmon runs. I was just out there and saw a King Salmon run in the Feather river. They never get over the dam at Oroville Lake. They have a ladder but it goes to a DNR facility where they strip the salmon and raise maybe 500,000 fry which they release back. But you can see the salmon jump up the ladder and they are really big, I think a lot might fit in the Whooshh, but some were way too big.

ANd then the east coast has runs of shad and herring which are stopped by dams. ANd the north east has runs of salmon also. If the fish really do enter the Whooshh willingly then ... Well, I guess they trick the fish into jumping into a trough which is slanted into the Whooshh.

Love it,

mchambers

Former CCA member
You can see the alewives going up Rock Creek in DC in the spring, without the benefit of tubes. The Park Service used to have trip to see this. It's very cool to see.