• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish vet

Acpape0

Members
So after hearing someone mention taking fish to the vet I started wondering if any one has ever done this?
Have you ever taken a fish to a vet?
Would you ever consider it?

I have never taken a fish to the vet before. I would not do so 99.99% of the time. With that said I could foresee considering it if and only if the fish was a center piece in my main tank, had been in the family for years, and I would have had to exhausted all other options, and the monetary value of fish was above or equal to potential vet bills. And rule #1 ... The wife was onboard with the idea

Thoughts ?
Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I've considered it because an angelfish had a prolapse,and nothing i did was helping. I did ask one of the vets and the best she could do was "advice".... the prolapse finally returned to its position after months of patience...

A chinchilla as a fishroom "door person"

JasonC

Members
iirc, Dr Rhody at lakeside veterinary clinic in laurel bills himself as an exotic vert and I know he deff. Does herps... May do fish also. But unless we are talking about an irreplaceable fish, I can't imagine that the fees would bee worth it....

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Here are some old references to veterinarians in the area:

1. Fish World 16529 S.Frederick Ave. Gaithersburg, Md. 20877 (301)921-0000 When: Saturday, May 16th, 2009, 1:00 pm. Dr. Hollifield will give a veterinarian’s point of few on how to identify and treat tropical fish diseases. She will focus on bacterial infections and common mistakes aquarists ...

2. Wheaton Animal Hospital, Dr. Gary Schwartz
3. Feathers, Scales, and Tails Veterinary Hospital, Dr Heather Bowles
4. Boston Street Animal Hospital (Baltimore), Dr. Scott Willens

Info is about a year old.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
OH, and all the big public aquariums have veterinarians to look after their fish and other animals. Probably not available for hobbyists. And animal shelters have vets and at least the one in Waldorf was willing to look at fish, at least he said so when he was treating my dog years ago.

neut

Members
There was at least one occasion when I would have, but I inquired and vets in my area don't treat fish.