• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Renewing Your ACA Membership?

Will You Renew Your ACA Membership?

• Yes - I'll renew to attend the ACA 2012 in Indianapolis

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Yes - I'll renew even though I won't be attending the convention

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No - Not planning to renew (Why?)

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Not sure if I'll renew

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Not sure if I'm an ACA member

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Right here....sitting in the back of the room, contemplating the best time to throw a paper airplane to the front of the room, got to time it just right to skim Pat's head and slam into Bill mid sentence. Two for one

marge618

CCA member
I know that we (CCA) sent the list of folks who registered...and that at least the people who had ACA forum registrations got upgraded to "ACA member" status (and given access to BBs).

Matt

I believe that I paid an extra fee for renewal of ACA membership when I registered for the convention.

Spine

Members
+1 on Andrew and Pat
I've been to several conventions this year and have joined their club either as a courtesy to them or because they force you too. I have not been able to gain full access too the forum on any one that I joined. I notified all of them, but they didn't seem to care once they had my money. The bottom line is I'll never join a club unless I'm forced to so I can attend something.

sfdvlam

Members
Oh cool! Just reading through this thread I realize I get a year of complimentary membership since I attended the ACA event. How to get that membership extension on my profile?

My renewal is due in August every year and I just renewed again. I get the Full membership as I like the printed BB.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the ACA is an association of hobbyists and scientists who wish to share knowledge and promote the conservation and keeping of cichlids. It is not a "club" like CCA or my own club MAS.

Most of the reasons that I have seen posted here were because members did not get the "club" experience that they thought they would get from joining the ACA.

There is nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't mean it is the fault of the ACA.

If your goal is to learn more about cichlids and cichlid conservation then I would highly encourage you to join the ACA. If your goal is to just keep and breed fish, and hang out with other cichlid hobbyists then a local club is what is best for you. Of course you could always do both!

Andy
Proud Member of the American Cichlid Association

mscichlid

Founder
I've been saying just that for years.

The ACA forum should be just a platform for ACA info:

ACA Convention
ACA BOT info
ACA National/International Club registry
ACA Awards info
ACA Show Rules
ACA Sanction registrations
ACA Speaker info
ACA Online Trading
ACA Conservation info
ACA Cichlid Species Database (incorporate CichlidRoom and Cichlid Forum)
ACA BB publication should be made available for download instead of mailed. Waste of money and resources these days to have it delivered any other way.

IMHO,the rest of the forum invites folks to be disappointed and is a waste of time.

mrkillie

Members
ACA BB publication should be made available for download instead of mailed. Waste of money and resources these days to have it delivered any other way.

Especially since there won't even be a postal service in a few years. I've read where some countries are already planning the phase out by 1918.

I agree with you on everything but two points:
Incorporating cichlid forum and cichlid room. I think an indexable guide to BB articles online is a better choice. It would be something new and unique to the ACA.

Ending the print version of the BB. I may still be in the dark ages but I like the print version. It fits nicely in my bathroom cabinet.

Andy

dogofwar

CCA Members
The issue, though, is that there seem to be a really limited number of people for whom this appeals (and even fewer if you take away the convention).

Where can the "hobbyists and scientists who wish to share knowledge and promote the conservation and keeping of cichlids" be found... if they're not in clubs like the CCA or MAS? I honestly don't know.

I think there is a core group of people for whom the ACA is a "club" in the traditional sense. And people outside of that core group aren't likely to feel included in the "club"... with a corresponding lack of compelling reasons to remain a member.

Matt

My renewal is due in August every year and I just renewed again. I get the Full membership as I like the printed BB.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the ACA is an association of hobbyists and scientists who wish to share knowledge and promote the conservation and keeping of cichlids. It is not a "club" like CCA or my own club MAS.

Most of the reasons that I have seen posted here were because members did not get the "club" experience that they thought they would get from joining the ACA.

There is nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't mean it is the fault of the ACA.

If your goal is to learn more about cichlids and cichlid conservation then I would highly encourage you to join the ACA. If your goal is to just keep and breed fish, and hang out with other cichlid hobbyists then a local club is what is best for you. Of course you could always do both!

Andy
Proud Member of the American Cichlid Association

Matt,
In regards to your first sentence that's exactly true and always has been. There is nothing wrong with that.

I have no idea what you mean by your second sentence. There are ACA members who are not members of local clubs. And there are hobbyists and scientists that I know through the ACA that I would not have met any other way despite being in local clubs most of my life. Have you ever read a BB? Other than Cichlid News tell me where you would find that information.

I don't get this "good ole boys club" reference all the time. I think that is total BS. As in everything else you have to earn friendship. Just because you attended the convention or paid a membership does not entitle you to suddenly be best friends to everyone in the ACA. The long standing members have a close knit circle because they earned and developed those relationships over years of interaction.

Andy

dogofwar

CCA Members
Andy - I've read many BBs. I generally like them. It's one of the key reasons I've remained a member. I've often asked myself who the target audience for them is (other than the people who write them)...

Matt