• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Beta Setup at Work

YSS

Members
After seeing this picture posted by Frank from AM2,

attachment.php

I said, hey, I can set this one up at work. So here it is. I kinda like it. Pair of betas, java ferns, and anubias.

betatank_zpsa06d3410.jpg

Becca

Members
Drop your water level, or you'll lose a fish. I've learned this the hard way more times than I care to think about. The precursors to this set up closely resemble what you've got in your office :).

YSS

Members
Drop your water level, or you'll lose a fish. I've learned this the hard way more times than I care to think about. The precursors to this set up closely resemble what you've got in your office :).

Thanks for the pointer. :) Do betas jump?

Last edited:

Becca

Members
Thanks for the pointer. :) Do betas jump?

Yessir. I've had some that lived for years in a container then ended up as fish crackers on the floor for no apparent reason. It sucks. Say the weekend office-cleaning crew bumps your desk with a vacuum - Betta startles and ends up in the cube next door - no one is there to rescue it.

Also, if your male torments the female she might jump out. This was my original set-up at work, but I fractured the bottom part trying to drill it to add on a filter... oops.
picture.php

I also had this, which is exceptionally hard to jump out of:
picture.php

YSS

Members
Thank you all. :)

So, as you can see this set up has no filter and no heater. Anything I could add besides the pair? Any nano fish? May be shrimp?

Becca

Members
Thank you all. :)

So, as you can see this set up has no filter and no heater. Anything I could add besides the pair? Any nano fish? May be shrimp?

They're likely to eat shrimp unless you find some big Amano shrimp. You could try some pygmy corys depending on their temp requirements because they can also take air off the surface.

Becca

Members
This was my original set-up at work, but I fractured the bottom part trying to drill it to add on a filter... oops.
now I feel extra bad.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NO NO NO!!! Will - I had taken it down at work because my stupid paradise fish jumped out of it and, at that point, I decided I was DONE with fish at the office. If you hadn't helped me, I would've tried it myself and probably lost an eye in the process!

Becca

Members
I still feel bad :(

I forbid it!:D The tank we did build was AWESOME and it placed with the professional judges. What it turned into after the original plan hit a few bumps was super cool and, since it was made with something anyone can get at HomeGoods (that's right guys, my secret weapon is the decorative glassware section at HomeGoods), the design is accessible to others.

zackcrack00

Members
Is the pair separated? If not the male an female will fight and one will most likely end up dead, ad the other beaten and torn if he/she doesn't end up like the first. Bettas will attack anything colorful or with long fins.

zackcrack00

Members
Yes. I had a female kill 3 males during the breeding process (which they never finished) an they were all conditioned for 3 weeks every time. So lesson: No Bettas with other Bettas.

Becca

Members
Yes. I had a female kill 3 males during the breeding process (which they never finished) an they were all conditioned for 3 weeks every time. So lesson: No Bettas with other Bettas.

I agree, but I didn't have any real-life experience trying to keep Bettas together, I just know what I've read.

chriscoli

Administrator
I forbid it!:D The tank we did build was AWESOME and it placed with the professional judges. What it turned into after the original plan hit a few bumps was super cool and, since it was made with something anyone can get at HomeGoods (that's right guys, my secret weapon is the decorative glassware section at HomeGoods), the design is accessible to others.

Home Goods Rocks!

YSS

Members
Both fish survived the weekend. Looks like the male is leaving the female alone for the most part. Tank is looking much better now that the water is clear.

betatank2_zpsc9d3757f.jpg