• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anybody good with cars ? Newbie needs urgent help.

kevin911

Members
I drive a old 2001 Camry and realize today my temp gauge was shifting up and down. I stop at a gas station and realize I complete ran out of coolant, upon buying a gallon and refilling the coolant tank. I then let it cool and turn the car with the ac on . This is where I realize the real problem lies, I notice my top middle section there are 2 pinhole leaks. I was wondering if I can seal the leak with something or do everyone advising on buying a new radiator ? It's pretty costly so I'm just seeing if there is a way around this, thank you so much guys and gals :)

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1394600716621.jpg

Jeff721

Members
You can get a radiator shop to repair/reseal it if you can be without the car a few days.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any of the "stop-leak" products out there. The old hot-rod guys will tell you to crack a raw egg (not kidding) into your radiator, look it up.

I would just get a new radiator from an online retailer.

If your desperate/strapped for cash/need to get somewhere and can see the holes on the top you might clean it off real well, scuff it up a bit and put some j.b. weld or pc-7 on it.

frankoq

Members
I also don't think those "repair kits" will work.
You could try going to a junk yard but you are taking chances there.

kevin911

Members
Thanks for the great input guys. The coolant bottle was empty and frank I think right now junkyard part not an option because of how fragile the raidiator part can be.

Cartel

Members
Can't tell from your picture but if its leaking from the radiator core or tank sides. If it is the core you could get it repaired by a radiator shop. If its from the plastic tank sides forget about it and get a new one.

ddavila06

Members
rockauto.com

is really cheap, it ships promptly, and it was recommended by a fishy friend whoknows cars. if u can afford a new one get the issue taken care of. idk about cars so i can not advice on easy fixes.. good luck :)

kevin911

Members
Thanks guys I figure if somebody is good with welding can just plug these 2 pin hole lol. Anybody here has or work in a car shop ?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Dep on how big the holes are, a welder can plug them...(they would do more damage) also dep on the type of welder arc welding etc. if done incorrectly it can clog the pipe and restrict flow. Car will over heat...
I would find a school or someone learning to see if under supervision you can get a free or pretty cheap fix.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Radiator is most likely aluminum and doubt anyone has a tig welder to do it

Thanks guys I figure if somebody is good with welding can just plug these 2 pin hole lol. Anybody here has or work in a car shop ?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I welded aluminum once in engineering class and failed horribly just made more holes lol!

That's why I suggested asking a school or trade school etc they have the equipment just have to offer them a reason or incentive...good luck buddy

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Get a new radiator for about $100 online. While you are at it, you should also swap the upper and lower hoses ($6-$8 each). You will obviously need a new bottle of coolant.

Basic tools are all that is required - phillips screwdriver to remove the hose clamps and a socket set/open box wrenches. A pair of shears will probably be necessary as well to cut the hoses to size.

Even if you have no idea what you are doing, it will still only take a couple of hours.

There's probably even a step-by-step on Youtube.

Most reliable/cost effective/best way to go imo. Radiator issues (and having to limp your car along) are a PITA.. may as well fix it right from the get go.

Tony

Can't tell from your picture but if its leaking from the radiator core or tank sides. If it is the core you could get it repaired by a radiator shop. If its from the plastic tank sides forget about it and get a new one.

Wil! How you been, bud?

kevin911

Members
Thanks guys, chances are in going to order one and install it. Definitely have to watch some YouTube vid, cause I got no idea lol

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
You can pick up a Chilton guide at Advance or Auto Zone. It's a basic repair book. But a radiator is pretty simple.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Thanks guys, chances are in going to order one and install it. Definitely have to watch some YouTube vid, cause I got no idea lol

Man, I can help been a while since I've done anything like that but I can help. last thing I did was a cold air intake and replaced a few hoses.

Tony

Kevin,

Short of changing an air filter or fluids, it's one of the easier things you can do in the engine.

Good luck and tell us how it goes. :)

Tony

might be simple in paper, but a pain to get to the bolts/screws to remove it.
just saying.

IIRC, my Subaru has 2-3 bolts at the top. You take those out and the radiator pulls right out. It has pins at the bottom that slip into holes with rubber bushings to dampen vibration.

I think that the worst part is tightening the hose clamps on the bottom. If you have trouble or big hands, use a ratchet with a couple of extenders and a swivel.