• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Corydoras-Breeding idea/question

ddavila06

Members
Helloooo! so i have some nice corydoras i would like to breed..i have some blacks, some orange laser, some purple, some pandas, and then aspidoras species.. Aspidoras are ready to breed, lay eggs often and are easily triggered with a large water change and some live blackworms..
i was thinking, what if i keep some adult aspidora alongside with some of those catfish? can they be tempted to breed by having another species of bottom dweller breeding? would something like this ever happen? just a tought.. Comments and suggestions welcome! :D

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Damian,

There are several instances mentioned on Planet Catfish in which cory breeders used water from a tank with breeding fish to prime the water of other corys. Just before the snowstorm, my cory zygatus bred, which caused my cory elegans to breed a day or so later. So I think your plan has merit.

Blaise

Becca

Members
Just google it - purple cory or violet cory. They're purplish with speckles that get closer together until they form a solid violet-grey towards the tail. One of my favorites.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Just google it - purple cory or violet cory. They're purplish with speckles that get closer together until they form a solid violet-grey towards the tail. One of my favorites.

Corydoras similis. Also one of my favs. Happen to have a bunch, but they haven't spawned in a long time. Perhaps I need to add something more "vigorous".

Blaise

ddavila06

Members
thanks Blaise for the reply! love my similis, i bought them from Batfish! i have ten and no spawning yet.. , yet!!

Sonny Disposition

Yeah, it's an old trick to keep different cory species together, in an attempt to get one of them to spawn. The thing to avoid, though, is keeping closely related species-- like the different aeneus types--together, as they might hybridize.

Helloooo! so i have some nice corydoras i would like to breed..i have some blacks, some orange laser, some purple, some pandas, and then aspidoras species.. Aspidoras are ready to breed, lay eggs often and are easily triggered with a large water change and some live blackworms..
i was thinking, what if i keep some adult aspidora alongside with some of those catfish? can they be tempted to breed by having another species of bottom dweller breeding? would something like this ever happen? just a tought.. Comments and suggestions welcome! :D

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Damian,

There are several instances mentioned on Planet Catfish in which cory breeders used water from a tank with breeding fish to prime the water of other corys. Just before the snowstorm, my cory zygatus bred, which caused my cory elegans to breed a day or so later. So I think your plan has merit.

Blaise

Is this due to the hormones released by the spawning pair?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, that at least is the theory. See Eric Bodrock's discussion here:

http://bdweb313932.bluedomino.com/articles/corycrumbs.html#SYSTEM

" I also believe that since no ultraviolet sterilizer is used and all the water is common throughout the system, when I group spawns they release pheromones or enzymes that trigger other groups to spawn. May times I have seen that within a day of a spawn several other groups throw their eggs, sometimes within hours and as long as two days later."

If you don't want to keep them together all you have to do is transfer from water from the tank the cory's are spawning in to a tank where they aren't. That will prevent hybridization.

Thanks for the explanation on the purple cory. I am familiar with Corydoras similis but never heard it called purple cory together. For a minute I thought there was a new GloCory out!

Andy

ddavila06

Members
If you don't want to keep them together all you have to do is transfer from water from the tank the cory's are spawning in to a tank where they aren't. That will prevent hybridization.

Thanks for the explanation on the purple cory. I am familiar with Corydoras similis but never heard it called purple cory together. For a minute I thought there was a new GloCory out!

Andy

hehe, no problem. no issue here w hybrids as i dont have many and not related anyways..
here is a pic of my similis from a little while ago.. :D

20130521_091139 (800x599).jpg