• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African tank.

Harleyrider5

Members
I am thinking of starting an African cichlid tank. I've never really had much luck with them. I've got an empty 75 gallon that I am thinking of using. I do have an 9" Burundi Frontosa that I got from tparker awhile back. I'm not sure how he would do with smaller Africans and what would go good with him. Any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
Mixing a 9" front with other Africans in a 75g wouldn't be ideal. If you're set on that, I'd mix it with milder Haps that aren't too large...and not mbuna, aggressive malawi fish or anything small enough for the (predatory) front to eat.

There are lots of other Hap/Peacock or mbuna mixes that will work for a 75 as well...

Matt

Harleyrider5

Members
I'm just not sure what to do with the Frontosa right now. He is in a tank with fish that I know I'm no suppose to mix him with.(I had to sets of fish breed and I had to move fish around to accommodate) Everything is peaceful I just want to get him with proper tank mates

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Why don't you rehome the Frontosa and start from scratch?

In a 75, you have a lot of options. You could do:

an all male peacock/hap tank
a peacock or hap colony of one or two species
a low-key mbuna tank with labs, p acei, rusties and a few other mild mbuna

There are other mbuna options, but I don't do them, so can't speak to it.

None of the tanks I've suggested should be difficult to stock or maintain.