• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

L046 Zebra Plecos

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So I know that L046 are now illegal to import. Do any of you know anyone in the area selling them? Or anyone in the US other than Aquabid that can get their hands on some? I have wanted some for a long time, and would consider breeding them if I could get my hands on some for less than the standard $250 per fish.

Thanks,

Cory

Forester

Members
Most people I know have big wait lists. I'm planning on getting a big group in may-June, I have a few different people that I will be contacting. I can pm you think eir emails if you would like. You are still going to be paying between 150-200 and that's if they have any left. If you get a lot of them or are willing to drive then you could get em for cheaper. I tried a few years ago with a to from aquabid and realized that it makes much more sense to get at least 8-10 juvies. I'm planning on 20 or so and am saving accordingly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
I'm actually pretty sure that Batfish Aquatics has them in stock. Also, they regularly have captive bred ones on their preorder lists.

That said, if you're willing to do what it takes to properly care for this fish, you're willing to pay what they cost.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Very true, Becca, and Forester, yes, add me to that email list. I know the cost will be great, but like you, I know if I get some, I'm going for at least the 8-10 range, to try and ensure I get at least one of each sex. I need to start now on convincing my wife that $2,000 on fish is not that much....That will be by biggest obstacle.

Forester

Members
I only spend money I make from fish not anywhere else, that way It's easy to justify any purchases. You could suggest the theoretical return if you get em to breed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Talk to David Sombach when he is up from Richmond for The BFD. He has a breeding colony and may be able to give you some pointers for keeping them. I don't think that he is ready to sell babies, but you never know. His forum name is Clearsky.

FishEggs

I saw them at House of Tropics a little while back. Beautiful fish. I would love to have some myself. I think their price was $300. I will probably never own one. Can i come gawk at yours when you get them?

I paid $200 ea. for my group. There is a breeder in Minnesota who has them available regularly but I am not sure he ships. Especially this time of year.

Mine are about 2" SL now and I hope to have them breeding by fall.

Andy

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have a hard enough time keeping $40 fancy plecos alive. I can't ever see myself spending $200 one.

Now, some uber rare brown CA cichlid, maybe...

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have a hard enough time keeping $40 fancy plecos alive. I can't ever see myself spending $200 one.

Now, some uber rare brown CA cichlid, maybe...

Several years ago I bought 12 L333's. Had them shipped to work.
Did water change on them here. Took them home and put in tank a few hours later. Did good. That night they were eating and exploring. 7am they were all dead.

JLW

CCA Members
I get captive raised ones every so often. They're usually in the $150-200 range. Donated one to the Raleigh Aquarium Society... hmm, I think I'm due for a good donations locally. I understand there's some sort of big fish event or something coming up...

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
I have a hard time spending $2000 on fish that will eventually die. That being said I'm housing 5 LO46 for a friend trying to get them to breed.

verbal

CCA Members
If you are interested in breeding them, I would recommend starting on another Hypancistrus species first. L129 has the reputation of being one of the easier ones to breed. A good number of people are breeding the L333s and a few other species.

If you start having success with another species - you can start using your proceeds to build up a potential L046 colony. Also any mistakes will be a lot less costly.

One thing with the other Hypancistrus species is get them all from the same source. You want to make sure you have the same species and a lot of them are very similar. With the L046 you will be getting the same species from any reputable source, so you can build your numbers up gradually.

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
Good luck with breeding the L46. If you need a cave however I do make slate caves for the L46 and will have a table at the big fish deal.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
David, I didn't know you worked with the CCA? I remember talking/posting with you on another forum. Good to hear from you. I think my dreams are killed for now. I do like the idea of getting a cheaper species first and try them. I have had great success breeding just about everything else, but that is a good suggestion.