• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Blue-Eyed Columbian Pleco!!!

leighn

Members
Picked Up this 13 inch Blue-eyed columbian pleco. What do you guys think? How much is it really worth?

blue-eyed pleco 1.jpg

blue-eyed pleco 2.jpg

kevin911

Members
Seen them for $250-350. Priced a lot before but it's niche is too small so price drops.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

leighn

Members
What do you mean when you say its niche is too small?? Yea it was pretty expensive but I had been looking at for awhile and decide it will be my early christmas gift to myself.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
There aren't a whole lot of aquarists who would drop that much on a "pleco". To see the folks who would, you should consider attending the PVAS Catfish Convention next October.

Is yours a Panaque cochliodon (or whatever it is these days)? Heiko Bleher gave a talk about them at the last CatCon.

Blaise

leighn

Members
Hey Blaise good to hear from you again. This is Nate from Amethyst. Thanks for the info I will definitly check that out. I do believe it is a Panaque cochliodon. I got it due to it being rare but now that I have it Im hearing different stories on how rare it really is. I paid a pretty penny for it but either way I love it and glad to have something everyone doesnt have.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
The blue eyed pleco was once believed to be extinct in the wild due to the original collection site becoming polluted and/or filled in. Since that time, at least one more collection site has been identified. The pleco is now imported seasonally, but only large adults seem to make it into the lfs.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Btwcp

CCA Members
I used to have 4 of them about 20 years ago. Back then they where like 30 dollars. They awesome Plecos to watch.

Gyarados

Members
Did you grab this one from Beltway Aquarium? They've had a pretty massive Blue Eyes for what seems like multiple years.

leighn

Members
Yes richard fianlly gave me a decent price on and let it go. Put up a good fight for him but I had been eye balling it for a awhile just didnt want to pay his listed price at 600

JLW

CCA Members
I only ever see large ones listed, and don't think I've EVER seen smaller ones. I have this theory that they lay eggs in large hollow logs or something, and eat their way out as they grow. So, small ones are nigh impossible to find. :)

Gyarados

Members
Yes richard fianlly gave me a decent price on and let it go. Put up a good fight for him but I had been eye balling it for a awhile just didnt want to pay his listed price at 600

That's awesome. Of all this fish I've seen there, that's probably the one I spent the most time drooling over. Half the time he'd have it unmarked in a tank in the back corner, almost like he didn't want to sell it.

leighn

Members
Oh trust me he didnt want too which is why I figured the price was so high. But I guess he needed the money so right time with the right amount of money. I felt really bad tho for the pleco its been years stuck in that 40 gallon tank. couldnt swim nor turn for the most part in that tank. But as soon as I got him in the tank which was a task of its own with him being 13 inches and thick as a brick lol watching him swim in my 350 gal tank was a awesome feeling!!!