• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

L046 Zebra Plecos

clearsky5

CCA Members
Hi Guys:
Yes I have a breeding colony/ I do have young various sizes...
I will tell you, this is not for the faint hearted....

As any of you know, when you covet/go after those harder to find fish,
there is always issues, particularily deep pockets.

I am actually putting together a lecture on my efforts with breeding zebras, the trials and tribulations.

I have not sold any yet, mainly because I need to make sure I have a good gene pool to work with. The group I have now are wild caught, (got them about 2 1/2 years ago, before the "well" dried up....

I would be happy to speak to anyone wanting to work with them, but Jesse brought up a very good point.....

If you haven't bred any hypancistrus, I would try an easier one first to get your feet wet.

Try L-333, L-260's, L-134's (although the 134's can be a bit tougher)

some of the trials and tribulations to breeding zebras, and why they are so darn expensive.

-In recent years they have been difficult to import in any numbers, and at this point, legally, virtually impossible.

-You can have a group that were breeding for you and for no reason, they just stop breeding.

- They do not have large egg clutches... typically 6-10 eggs is decent, with fewer on younger fish.

- While the male guards and tends to the newborns, you might not keep all of the clutch alive.

- They are VERY VERY slow to grow, so getting them to size is a long process.

-when they were being imported, there were many more males to females in the ratios, so only way to insure male/female ratio is in numbers.

couple tips:

buy from someone that you either know well, or was reccomended.

Personally, I would stay away from zebras under 1" unless you pick em up and see them eating and have fat bellies...
traditionally, 1" - 1 1/4" young can be sold for anywhere from $75-$150
I have seen cheaper prices, and little smaller fish sold, but boy, $100/inch is kind of chancy....

also, be prepared to find a glut of males in your colonies, unless it is a proven breeding group. Females are harder to find, and sort of more pricey.

I will give a plug here to FRESHWATER IMPORTS (in the midwest)
they have reasonable prices on their plecos, and you could buy a small group of one of the easier ones and won't break the bank....

Folks zebras are out there. Availability is a 'catch 22' to me. We need to keep the species alive and strong in the hobby,,,,but I am ever so hopeful they will not get to the point where box pet stores will have them for $35 bucks....

Forester

Members
I'm trying with the L134's, got 12 total split up into a trio and a group of 9. They're showing breeding behavior so crossing my fingers. Won't go into zebras until the 134s are breeding steadily.

Thanks for the write up, very informative.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

clearsky5

CCA Members
Lucas
to give you a reference..
I got the brine shrimp breeder....
:)
thanks

Yeah, the leopard Frogs (134) are really cool....
I have a group of 8 myself, (two different colonies) and i have them at a friends house right now... she and I share our similar breeders...
I had been so busy, and really putting my efforts into the zebras and hers (zebs) were not breeding for her so I decided to get her to try the 134's for a while....

david

Forester

Members
Np, the swords are looking great :)

I got 6 from Rapps right before winter break, and another 6 two weeks ago from Todd. The ones from Todd are big and solid, ready to breed.

I didn't realize before that you were the ones with the zebras, I'd love to talk to u sometime (next meeting, PVAS auction) about plecs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

My group of 20 WC L46s started breeding within 2 months after I got them. My ROI for the group was 1.5 year. That said, I did breed other plecos like L260, L134, and more before I made the leap into purchasing the L46 group. They breed on a regular basis with a typical spawn size of 10 and as high as 15. Fry growth rate is on par with other Hypancistrus species and actually less sensitive than others regarding the water parameters. People who complain about slow growth rate on L46 fry are due to improper care and diet.

[YT]watch?v=JXvL-kAjsGM[/YT]

Since then, I have branched out to L174. This is a more challenging species as the fry is much more sensitive resulting in a higher mortality rate. That is also the reason you don't see L174 widely available.

[YT]watch?v=Fr5XB-9LX8w[/YT]